1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air injection pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:22 AM
shortwide84
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air injection pump?

looking at some headers for the truck http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Summi...item5ad651a2a2

at the bottom is says Will not fit with A.I.R. injection pump. what is this and is it needed?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think it means the trucks with a smog pump

Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

shortwide84: I would suggest that you fill out the vehicle section of your profile so that anyone that reads your questions will know what your truck is without looking around the forum for that information.
The air injection allows the burning of gases to continue into the exhaust system to reduce carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions. Some air injection systems add the air directly to the exhaust manifolds and those headers do not allow for that as they are not drilled and taped to except the air injection manifold. Our V-8s add the air at the back of the heads and therefore will allow those headers to be used even though we have air injection on some of our trucks. The problem comes if you have an O2 sensor. If you have an O2 sensor you can lengthen the wires and add the sensor down at the collector if you have any welding experience or you can have it done at any exhaust shop for a small fee.

Last edited by SEAL; 01-16-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:24 PM
aaron7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Install headers
2) Disconnect A.I.R. pump

Done.

Quick Reply: air injection pump?