1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flat bed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:01 PM
schulteff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat bed

i'm looking at putting a flat on my 90. i'm wondering if anyone would have any helpful hints, advice or instructions. any help would be awesome!! thank you!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:54 PM
97Dodge
Amateur

It's pretty strait forward. The only things are the filler tube for the gas tank and the brake lights. It kind depends on the flat bed some are set up already some need trailer lights for tail lights.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:05 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i am not sure if it is the law or not but i think you need mud flaps of some sort if you get rid of the box and build a flat deck.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:58 PM
schulteff
Default idea

so i'm thinkin if i cut at the seem of the bed and put 2x12 decking (covered in roll on bed liner) on top of the original bed floor, and bolt it to it. i can weld up wheel wells to cover the tires. and i can throw mud flaps on if needed to be legal. and the tail lights i can mount in or on the bumper. anyone think of anything wrong with this idea?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 PM
schulteff

got it taken care of!! i acquired a 2 place sled trailer. i'm removing the bed and will sqaured up the trailer on the factory mounts. can anyone think of any problems i'll run into besides the filler neck and tire clearance? thank you!!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 PM
bigol78dodge

yea your mounts around your gas tank if it like mine i had to add some spacers so it wouldnt sit on my gas tank an my filler nack had to be shortened 4.5 in to get the right angle back on it maybe you wont have to on yours and buy the way i got .28 a pound for my bed at the scrap yard payed for almost half of the metal i used to build it not even close with the wire for the welder and the paint and polts and misc. other parts total cost right around 325 for everything

Quick Reply: Flat bed