1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need a transmission pro please

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
89ram150
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, first thing in the morning (before) it wouldn't lock up until a minute or two at 45+ mph. But after that it was usually 42-43 at normal accel to lockup. Drove it last night after messing with it and it was locking up at 47 consistently. Took a long sweeping left turn at 25 or so (nothing crazy) and didn't lock up after that turn, and I was doing 50-52. This morning, go out for a ride, locks up at 47 again. Just a little while ago, went for about a half hour drive to run errands, and stops locking half way home. Stopped somewhere for about half hour, starts locking at 47 again when I leave. So I'm thinking if I had a wiring harness issue, it'd be there and not go away regardless. Leaning more toward the actual sensor now, maybe heat is getting to it?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Open your hood and see how many relays are on the drivers side fender just below the hood spring. If you have 4 the rear most one is the PTU (part throttle unlock solenoid). If it is there you might want to check that.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
89ram150
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have 4 relays, and they all look original. The rearward one has 2 plugs going to it, one of which is just a single wire. Is there a particular way to test it? I know I'll have to dig up my multi-meter and go from there.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most relays have a wiring diagram on them, if not you are going to have to figure it out yourself. I know that may sound bad but I have researched this PTU system and have been unable to find anything on it and I have not personally seen a truck with this system on it. I know it exists because my truck says it has a problem with the PTU, by showing a trouble code 37. That is why I did as much research as I have and found out the system is not on my truck. I can't even find a wiring diagram that shows the PTU system although I did find a picture that shows its location. If you can show a picture of the relay prongs with the numbers on it I might be able to help you figure it out. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Quick Reply: Need a transmission pro please