1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a/c problem 88 d100 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010 | 12:00 AM
superdad
|
Default a/c problem 88 d100 5.2

hello my name is ron just got me an 88 dodge d100 and I only have one problem with it. no a/c it has freon but the compressor does not move. i checked voltage at the connector to the compressor nothing is there a relay somewhere on the drivers side if so which one is it. second on the passenger side fire wall there is a block where one of the hoses from the compressor hooks into is that the pressure switch if so I have checked voltage there to and its good so I guess it is somewhere between the relay or between the pressure switch and compressor sorry for the long intro I checked the forum and did a search for an answer but didn't find anything. any help would be greatly appreciated. ty in advance

If the compressor is not turning, make sure the magnetic clutch engages when energized. Underlying problems here may include a bad relay, fuse, wiring problem or a defective clutch. If the clutch fails to cycle on and off when the A/C is turned on, jumping the clutch lead with a jumper wire from the battery will show if the problem is in the clutch or elsewhere. If the clutch engages, the problem is the clutch power supplypower supply (relay, fuse, wiring, switch or control module). Refer to a wiring diagram and work backward toward the battery to find out why the voltage is not getting through

ok can someone tell me when it says to jump the clutch if it mean take a wire from both the - and + from the battery and jump it to the connector coming off the compressor if so what side of the connector is the + if you are face the compressor is it the right side or left side

Last edited by superdad; 05-19-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2010 | 07:11 AM
SEAL
Champion

Check the fuse, it should be #1 30 amp and all wiring. There is a wide open cut out relay on the left fender side shield. There is a switch in the AC vacuum switch in the dash face. There is an AC damped pressure switch on the heater valve dash panel right side. Any of these things could be malfunctioning.

Power goes from fuse to dash control to damped pressure switch to wide open throttle relay to the compressor clutch.

To jump AC clutch find the wire that goes to the wide open throttle relay and apply 12 volts to that terminal. Leave the other terminal connected as is.

Old 05-19-2010 | 05:09 PM
superdad
|
Default what can i tell ya

well i guess it would have helped me to know that my gauges for adding freon wasn't sticking. it showed it as being full. well after doing the direct 12v test the clutch turned. so with that being said i went and got a new set of gauges to add freon and what do you know it was low. so after adding freon to the system having to jump out the compressor until it had enough freon in it to run by itself i have a/c but now the clutch is making a a clicking noise. I added the oil charge and it didn't go away so my guess is that the clutch is on it way out. does this seem fair to assume?

Old 05-19-2010 | 06:02 PM
SEAL
Champion

I doubt it is a clutch problem. The clutch either works or it doesn't. Does it click at all when you manually apply 12 volts? How often is it clicking? Some clicking is normal as the compressor cycles on and off. Was it totally out of freon when you started? What was the outside temperature when you charged it? What was the high and low side pressure when you were done charging? Is the sight glass clear, milky, or does it contain bubbles?

Last edited by SEAL; 05-19-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2010 | 04:57 AM
superdad
|

yes it does it i do it manually and by the buttons on the dash it only clicks when the compressor is on. I charged it on the low side and my best guess would be yes it was totally out i dont have gauges that read the high side i got the gauge from auto zone. when i released pressure on the high side only oil came out it was around 85 degrees when i charged it and it was in the shade. where do i find the sight i will try to find it when there is daylight again ty for the help

Quick Reply: a/c problem 88 d100 5.2