1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46rh starting in 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010 | 10:11 AM
khuebner250
|
Default 46rh starting in 2nd gear

I need a little advice. I have a 1992 ram w/ 318, A518, 241 t/c. I just had the trans rebuilt last week. After getting it installed this weekend. It seams to work ok, but it's starting out in second gear when in drive. The guy that rebuilt it did it on the side and has gone AWOL. He was recommended by someone at work and I just heard he is in jail for domestic violence. Convienent huh?

If I come to a stop, shift into neutral and back into drive it will go normally starting in 1st gear. Not sure if this is a pressure issue or a governor issue but I'm out of ideas and almost out of budget. I've adjusted the thottle valve cable, rechecked fluid level and made sure there is no drainback valve in line anywhere I'm in Windsor, CO and looking for advice.

Thanks, Keith

Old 05-22-2010 | 05:44 AM
Az93DKota
Veteran

I think you have a governor problem since you have the RH. The old turbo 350 governors used to do the same thing and when they went bad you used to have to manually downshift into 1st and once rolling, shift it back into 'D'. Now those were easy to fix since they were mounted outside the trans. Yours IDK. But I would start there and run some cleaner in the VB.

Quick Reply: 46rh starting in 2nd gear