1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:01 AM
dirty jersey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could use some help

Hey guys
i got a 92 dodge ram d 150. i believe the torqe converter is going on it. when i put the truck in gear it slips then grabs and takes off. Not all the time but most of the time. any takers? here is the real problem. when i hit the gas quarter of the way it seams fine in neutral. if i go any further than that it will seam to lose all engine power. start to bog down a bit then it makes a sound like someone is hitting the motor with a hammer followed by a pop sound. if it goes bac to quarter throttle it doesn t do it. the symptons are the same if its in gear and im driving. the truck sat for about 5 years at my job then my motor went in my other truck bout this for 2 cases of beer. LOL!!!! it started up and ran good for 3 months, UNTIL NOW.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Ironmower
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bite. Start replacing things as; fuel filter, air filter, basic tune-up(plugs, wires, cap & rotor)

Old 10-02-2010, 06:04 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever adjusted the transmission bands? You need to run the onboard diagnostics that are built into the truck to find a direction to troubleshoot.

1. Cycle the ignition key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. To cycle the ignition key ON means to turn it only as far as it takes to get the radio to come on. It does not mean to turn the engine on.

2. Count the number of times the "check engine" lamp on the instrument panel flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual codes. For example, flash-flash-flash [pause] flash-flash represents the code 32.

A code of "55" represents end of error codes. If this is all you get then no error codes are stored in the computer. This is the normal condition