1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grounds

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 PM
First time owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounds

I have been having electrical problems with my truck pretty much since I bought it. I was working on it with my mechanic friend and he said that all trucks as old as mine have had 3 grounds on it. 1 from the battery to the body, 1 from the battery to the engine, and on from the engine to the chassis/body. He is a Master Technician for GM and did say he wasn't familar with Dodge so I just want some input before I add another ground. Anything to make my life a little easier would be great.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:21 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club. Anyone with an older vehicle that has not had electrical problems is either a new owner or a fibber. Bad grounds are very common on these trucks and often the cause of much hair pulling. The battery, engine, frame, cab, and bed should all be grounded together. The manner/order that this is done varies and is not as important as the fact that it must be accomplished. If you have specific questions the going rate is as follows.

opinions are free
answers are inexpensive
correct answers are priceless

Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 PM
First time owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I'll be putting in a ground from the exhaust manifold to the frame soon and cleaning my current grounds just to be safe.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I don't like using an exhaust bolt as a ground although everyone seems to use them for this purpose. I prefer to use an unused taped hole in the block or just about any other existing bolt. Exhaust manifolds and bolts are always the rustiest on an engine and lead to bad grounds in the future. JMHO

Quick Reply: Grounds