1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

93 ram 4x4 help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 PM
saints_fan77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said this in a earlier post "The front drive shaft turns in 2 wheel drive because the left front tire is engaged directly to it at all times and causes it to turn." So if the front left tire is engaged to the front drive shaft at all times wouldnt this mean that when i put the t case in 4wd then the front left tire would spin no matter if the vacuum actuator locked the front and right in?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I apoligize for my mistake. I typed left when I should have typed right in that statement. Now I see why you are not getting what I am trying to say. If you change that word (left to right) and reread the thread I think everything else will make more sense. Again sorry that my mistake confused you. I am going to change that word now so that others in the future are not confused.

Last edited by SEAL; 12-02-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 AM
saints_fan77

Alright thank you. You seem to know what your talking about. I heard if you cant get your od working then you can run 12 volts directly to the solenoid to get it to work is this correct?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 AM
SEAL
Champion

I am aware of the basics of your system. There is a sending unit, wiring and the speedo/odo dash unit. I do not know of any solenoid in that system. As I stated earlier, I have not read any trouble shooting, testing, or repair info on that system. I have not personally worked on that system either so I can't answer that question. I would recommend that you go to your local main library and search their books and computer for info on this system. Most main libraries have paid subscriptions to Alldata or some such repair service. You can become our resident expert on this system.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 AM
saints_fan77

WEll i went and checked and im only getting vacuum to one line in both 4 and 2 wheel drive. I do not feel like fixing the switch or whatever it is so i will most likely go with the manual one that you gave me in the link. is it bad to drive with the actuator not hooked up for awhile?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 AM
SEAL
Champion

If the front axles are not locked now you just won't have 4x4 until you fix it. If the axles are locked there will be a slight reduction in gas milage and some unneeded tire scuffing when you turn until you fix it. Remember that there are full time 4x4 trucks out there so the problems you will experience until you fix it are not a big deal. If you fix it or go to manual you must plug those two vacuum lines or the one on the throttle body that feeds the entire system.

Last edited by SEAL; 12-03-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 PM
saints_fan77

ALright i will look on the throttle body to see if i can find where it starts. Also is there away i can get it to lock myslef to see if everything in the axle works good before i dump money into it?

Old 12-03-2010, 02:25 PM
SEAL
Champion

Put the t-case in a 4x4 position. You can jack the left front wheel off the ground and suck a vacuum on the passengers side nipple on the vacuum motor or apply pressure to the drivers side nipple. You may have to rotate the left wheel to get it to mesh. You will know when it locks in when the wheel will not rotate.