1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lockup Converter Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Master Deluxe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lockup Converter Help!

Hello

I'm new to the forum but not new to the Ram. I have a 1990 D-150 2wd with a TBI 318 and an A904. The lockup wasn't engaging so to test it I wired direct 12v to the solenoid via the relay. It would engage immediately after 2-3 up-shift and remain engaged at low speed, lugging engine. Diagnosis: ECU not sending signal to relay. I replaced the neutral safety switch after reading the wiring diagram for the ECU ( No reverse lamps and the starter relay's corresponding ground to switch was grounded via T-tap; started in all gear positions). I am unsure as to if the TCC is engaging now, as I don't know the actual speed that it is programmed to engage, nor conditions. The speed sensor is erratic working spontaneously. Wiring diagram shows it feeds speedo head and ECU. Other makes and models of vehicles I've owned with tachometers show the TCC engagement with RPM drop,but you don't feel it thru the drive-train and this is after a length of time at sustained highway speed. I owned a 1981 D-150 with a 226 I6 and a 904 and it had a mechanically controlled TCC that engaged about 41mph but was very noticeable like a 4th gear, and it is very noticeable in this truck with a jumper wire to the TCC solenoid but it also engages at 32 MPH when the rpm's are still low.

So does the ECU calculate the TCC engagement or is it a closed loop type operation? I have noticed changes in ignition timing due to the functioning neutral safety switch. Does the speed sensor affect the TCC lockup or is it just up to the TPS and Neutral safety switch and can any of you feel your TCC engage and if so what speed?

Mike

Old 12-24-2010, 07:05 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think the speed sensor does affect the ttc lockup.

Quick Reply: Lockup Converter Help!