1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slow Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 PM
rocketvette95
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Shifting

I have a 1989 Power Ram 150 4x4 with a 318 and a 36rh 727 trans. The only issue I have with the truck is the shift points. This truck will not shift to second gear until 25mph and will not shift to 3rd gear until 45 mph. No matter how you drive the trans always shifts the same.
First question is there a way to adjust the shift points so it will shift sooner. Most of the time riding in town the truck will shift to second gear because I do not go over 35.
Second question is there a 4sp automatic that can be swapped into this truck without a ton of modifing.
I use this truck as a Daily driver and do most of the riding in town. When I stay intown I only get around 10 mpg so I am thinking if I go with a 4sp auto or change the shift points I might be able to get more mpg if I can drop the engine RPMS.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 AM
tman17m

have you checked the trans fluid level? when is the last time it was changed?

i recently changed my trans fluid, and i thought i had it full enough, so i went for a test drive, and it was driving like crap. almost exactly how you described it- the truck shifted very late, and the shifts were very hard. i checked the fluid again, and was down a couple of quarts. filled it up completely and it shifts great now

Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
rocketvette95
Rookie

Well I have changed the fluid which was not bad. I have drained and refilled the fluid with some of the Mopar ATF+4. I think it took about 4 quarts to do a drain and refill. I know that this sounds bad,but this is how this truck has shifted for the past three years.So this is why I have asked if this the normal way these trucks shift. It is also why I have considered going to a 4sp auto if that can be done.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you check the trans fluid level with the truck in neutral? 4 quarts just don't sound like enough.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:07 PM
rocketvette95
Rookie

Yea I checked the Trans fluid with the engine at normal temp(after driving about 20 miles) and had the Trans in netural. It only took almost 4 qts to fill the trans.I have a Trans Cooler that I have taken off of a Chevy Caprice Police Car.I am thinking of installing it on my truck,but I really don't need it,I dont tow or pull anything with it.I might pull a popup camper this summer but that will be it.Has anyone tried to do a 4sp auto swap into a early model Ram Truck?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:59 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can alter the shift points by altering the springs in the valve body but it would be trial and error and would not provide the better milage you are looking for. A tranny that is shifted too early will actually get a drop in mileage because the engine is required to provide added torque and therefore uses more fuel.

The 4 speed A-518 (46RH) was first available in the 1991 model I believe. The gasoline-spec A-518's do have lock-up converters and I think they are electronically controled which would rule them out for your computer. But for the Diesel, there was no lock-up until the 1994 model year.

Heat is the number one enemy of any automatic transmission. The cooler you can keep the fluid the better.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM
rocketvette95
Rookie

Well SEAL,what do you think? Would you keep it just like it is,it does not hurt anything it just shifts differant to me. Or would you try to add a 4sp overdrive. I do know that the truck only has 58000 miles,and the shiftis differant when doing mostly intown driving where it stays in second gear most of the time. When you do drive at speeds over 45 the truck feels that it could use a fourth gear or maybe a Converter lock-up. I know that for this model truck that I am banging my head against a wall to try to get over 13 mpg ( I do average 10 in town).But I do suppose that at 10mpg no truck payment,cheap insurance,and people stairing at something differant I can live with how it shifts.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:31 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As you know I am driving almost the same truck you are with minor differences that really have little impact on mileage. Your mileage, although not good or where you want it, is not out of line for our vehicles so I would stop banging your head. I think that if you want a 4 speed it would be a lot easier and probably cheaper to swap to a truck that already has it unless you just want a project. I drive a truck for many reasons like the things you mention plus hauling, towing, plowing, and safety but certainly not for great mileage. It is hard to compare how your truck shifts to how mine does without driving it.

If I had your concerns I would do two things. I would try to find another truck locally that is close to the same as mine and ask the owner if I could drive it to compare the two. If you ever get near Roanoke Va. let me know and you can drive mine. I would also find a good trustworthy tranny shop and have them drive it and give their opinion. These things are free with no down side and may allay your concerns.

I don't know if you are the original owner or not but are you sure that no one has added any type of shift kit to your truck?

PS: I actually enjoy the staring because I know that my ugly vehicle will still be on the road doing its job when most of those doing the staring have gone thru a half a dozen vehicles or more and a crap load of money. Reliability and the knowlege that I am surrounded by a lot of Detroit iron that will allow me to walk away with my life and limbs, in the case of most accidents, is worth the stares.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Have you checked the kick down linkage for proper adjustment?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 AM
rocketvette95
Rookie

SEAL,
Thanks for the input. I do have to agree with you,that these trucks have to be safer than what is being produced in todays market. I have had a couple of the newer GM's and a Ford and I have to say that they really do not get that much better fuel mileage. That might be most of my problem,knowing the these newer trucks have a O/D trans and that drops RPM's down to 1500 to 1900.So I know that with the price of gas,insurance,monthly payments,and repair cost,the older truck wins hands down.Don't get me wrong I really do Love the Dodge truck,it is built like a Tank and it really does get looks from just about everybody.It is not everyday that you see these trucks in very good condition going down the road.
I think I am just asking to much from the the great 80's.I also know that back in the late 80's and the early 90's the Big 3 were trying to get the fuel economy back and was trying to get the computers up to standards which was trial and error,until the mid to late 90's with the invention of OBD2.

Quick Reply: Slow Shifting