1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

W150 Front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 PM
magnumrulzes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W150 Front end

I have a 1990 Dodge W150, the previous owner changed the front axles with from a doner Ramcharger. come to find out the first time I use 4 wheel drive the front end is a different gear ratio. I do not know the ratio but in the snow I can feel the rear end spinning faster making the rear slide, and on the dry concrete the front and the rear are fighting each other. Any way I got a buid sheet for the truck and it says it has a 3:55 ratio in the rear, I have searched the internet and I can only find 3:54 for the dana 44. Also would the front be a revers cut in the front? Also I did find one site that had the 3:55 but they refer to it as a large pinion. The build sheet says the truck came with a DJCS 195mm Front Axle. Is the 3:54 the correct one?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 PM
rocketvette95
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On most of the 4x4 trucks you will find that the front diff is not the same as the rear ratio(3:55 rear/3:54 front 4:10 frt/4:11 rear). You just would not want to go to a 3:55 rear and a 3:21 front it just will not work.Also if you do try to lock the truck in 4wd on dry pavment and try to turn the steering the truck will feel like it is walking(it is really bad on the drivetrain) so I really don't advise doing this you might tear a front axle out or break a transfer Case.If you do want to lock the truck in 4wd try to lock it in on dirt or sand or snow,but a dry road just tries to lock everything up

Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i have heard of people blowing transfer cases from having different size tire on the front than in the back. i would definitely say you have to get the right gears in the front axle before you can use 4x4 or you may end up doing way more damage to the truck than it is worth.

Quick Reply: W150 Front end