1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 PM
shortwide84
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't start

i changed the water pump on my truck last friday and it ran fine then... i haven't tried to start it in a week and now it won't fire up. i left the belt off on the air pump, would that cause it not to start?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
shortwide84
Professional

kinda going through a process of elimination... i have spark at #1 and i have fuel to the carb

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 PM
shortwide84
Professional

after a few choice words and some flying wrenches it's running. i ended up pouring a little fuel in the carb and holding the pedal to the floor. had to hook the charger up to it but she finally started up after a bit.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i wish i could say the same for my truck. i got it running yesterday but after it stalled i was no longer able to get it going again. i tried changing the spark plugs again and no go. i currently have the spark plugs that i pulled out today sitting in some cleaning crap. tomorrow i will take them out and sand the points, gap them and then install them and hope the truck fires. i end up just leaving the battery charger under the hood on my truck with the way my battery is.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 PM
shortwide84
Professional

good luck to ya!

got more problems now... new thread for that one! still over heating

Old 01-15-2011, 02:43 AM
ol'dodge4x4
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it's a crazy thing about these old trucks. seems they have some issues with the "modern" fuel blends. The needle and seats have a habit of sticking, prolly due to the alchohol in the gas. I run a Q-jet but it has alchohol resistant accel pump and needle and seat. (i ordered these parts and specialize in rebuilding Q-jets) Dont know if this is available in the carter or 2bbl rochestors. Prolly not avail for TQ's either. Newer 4bbl holleys and newer eldebrocks should be ok. BTW, somw mech fuel pumps are affected also along with old style rubber fuel line.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:31 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

right now i have a 570cfm Holley Street Avenger carb installed on the truck. i also have the 850cfm Holley that came on the truck when i bought it. i'm not sure how old they are but they seemed to run fine once i got it going. it is only when engine stalls that i run into problems. i don't think the alcohol in the gas would be causing my problem.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:51 AM
ol'dodge4x4
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you should be jus fine with the street avenger carb as far as the alchohol. What it sounds like is the dreaded "vapor lock" (which is not caused by the alchohol but it sure dont help the situation). Some part of the fuel system may be staying hot causing vapors to form. A fuel pump cannot pump vapors so there is no fuel psi for a while. This is jus a possibility of what might be going on. (first thing that came to mind) Check to see if any fuel lines of fuel filters are next to a source of heat. I had this happen to me on the old chevelle I used to own. The old fuel back in the days was not so "vapor inducing" as these new fuels. There is no worry for most cause most have the fuel injection which cancels most of the vapor lock problems.
Anyway, hope this might help your situation. If it dont, guess youll have to look somewhere else. Keep us posted!! (yes, plug fouling could be it also)

Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

ya. my spark plugs have been fouling up pretty quick. i have looked at all the fuel lines and can't see any where that it comes closer to the exhaust than normal. the one time i changed the spark plugs it helped but when i changed them again yesterday they did not help. i am hoping to change them 1 more time and have it run. all i have to do is put the 81 back together and get it to a garage to be safetied and it will be on the road.

Quick Reply: won't start