1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Throttle Body Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Body Temp Sensor

I sent out my fuel injectors to be cleaned and while they are out I took the Throttle Body and overhauled it with a rebuild kit. It was grubby and grimey and after cleaning it I found an empty port under the fuel return nipple. I looked it up in the Haynes manual and it said it is for the Throttle Body Temp Sensor but the only mention was for V8's and mine is the V6.

So my question is if a 91 D150 with the V6 should have a Throttle Body Temp Sensor? I don't see a plug from the wiring harness but I want to be sure. What would this affect? I know the MAP sensor was moved from the firewall to the side of the TB in 1990. Is this another change that was made?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The throttle body temp sensor is used to gauge the temp of the fuel verses the engine temp. Its main purpose is to allow a correct fuel mixture under a hot restart condition. I am not sure if the V-6 uses one or not but if you don't have a plug I would think it is not needed. If you want to be sure contact the parts dept at the dealership. The guys at my local dealership really like these old trucks and I talk to the specific mechanics that work on that system when I want to know how or why about anything.

If you are correct another difference between the V-6 and 318 is apparently the MAP location because the 89 318 had the MAP on the throttle body.

Last edited by SEAL; 02-22-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 AM
SixGun
Veteran

You're probably right, no plug then no need for it. But you know when you got that idea in your head that maybe it's supposed to be there, it just bugs the sh*t outta you. To hear that it's for hot starts then I won't worry about it for now. It's gotta be driving around to need it anyways. Priority for now is the gitty up an go. Feels like a runner breathing through one nostril. Just picked up the rebuilt injectors today. When I took the injectors out one pin was bent and after releasing the fuel pressure, that injector was dry. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I've finally nailed it. I originally wanted a slant 6 but I bought the 91 because I thought the fuel injection would be more reliable and smooth. Remains to be seen...

Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
SEAL
Champion

I talked to one of my friends at the dealership and he said there definitely was no throttle body temp sensor on the V-6 in 1991.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:24 AM
SixGun
Veteran

Thanks SEAL, that's a load off my mind. BTW, with all your knowledge, I kinda assumed you worked at a Dodge dealership until now. Anyways, thanks again you are a real asset to this forum and I think I speak for everyone here.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 AM
SEAL
Champion

No dealer experience here. I started working on vehicles at my dad's gas station when I had to carry a milk crate around to be tall enough to wash windshields. The only formal training I have had was Engineman A school in the Navy. You get good at your job when you know the lives of you and your team mates depend on it. My specialties were mechanical, electrical, and diving systems.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM
radstorm
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question on this item. I was out checking my carb which has one of these on my 318 but looks it might be broken. Where it plugs in is loose. Will this keep the engine from running? I looked around too trying to find a replacement one..but all my search keeps coming up with the position sensor..which of course it a whole other thing

Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 PM
SixGun
Veteran

First thing they are gonna need is your vehicle info - especially what year. Next thing is if it's throwing any codes. Just in case, here's a link and SEAL's post #7 to check codes.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...formation.html

Last edited by SixGun; 01-18-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 PM
ghonhee
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I'm right in bringing back an old thread like this one or I should start a new one but...

I was removing the throttle today and broke the throttle body temperature sensor on the throttle body end. The plastic snapped as it was coming off. I can't seem to find this part on the parts stores' websites. Does anyone have an idea on where I can find a replacement? Thanks.

Vehicle Info:
1991 Dodge W150, 318 5.2L TBI

UPDATE:
Found the part on the NAPA website as Air Charge Sensor. Thanks

Last edited by ghonhee; 08-01-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Temp Sensor