1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Severe Brake Problem...Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Nsherrill540
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe Brake Problem...Any Tips?

I was changing the brake pads on my 85 D100, and I didn't realize the calipers were in two parts. So I took off the brake line to get to the nut on the back side that holds that part of the caliper on. Anyway, now when I press the brake peddle it goes all the way to the floor. I've bled the front brakes at least 8 times, but so far nothing is working. Any tips? Also, is the bleed valve also the bolt that holds the brake line to the caliper?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:24 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the bolt that holds the brake line to the caliper is not the bleeder screw.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not believe the bleeder valve holds anything on. I just hate brake problems! Do you have bendix calipers? I'm not really familiar with them. You should have somebody pump the brakes while you watch the lines and hoses for leaks. Provided there are no leaks and everything is assembled correctly, I would suspect a master cylinder or wheel cylinder.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Nsherrill540
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. I obviously haven't been bleeding them correctly, so hopefully it's still just air in the lines.

So how do you open the bleed valve? Mine is so grimy I can't see anything on it really, just a little notch sticking up.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't mind brakes. if you have leak in a brake line you should hear it shooting out brake fluid. i would open the bleeder screw the first time with a socket and then use a wrench. you turn that little notch thing counter clockwise to open it and clock wise to close it.

i have a 2x4 hold my brake pedal while i am opening the bleeder screws.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 04-02-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer vacuum bleeding because you can do it by yourself. I live in the sticks and there is rarely anyone around for help.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAL
I live in the sticks and there is rarely anyone around for help.
Must suck when you roll your quad, huh?

You don't really need anybody who knows what they are doing to help you bleed, if you go that route. Its faster than a 2x4, and doesn't require you to buy a vacuum bleeder. Just have them pump the pedal x10 times, hold while you crack the bleeder, the pedal will hit the floor, close the bleeder, and repeat the process until there is no more air coming out. Just ake sure you don't run out of fluid during the process.

Quick Reply: Severe Brake Problem...Any Tips?