1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

92 - 5.2 liter running bad ready to give up!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:46 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

it's not that they had bad it intake gaskets. it is the plenum gasket on the bottom of the intake that start leaking allowing oil to be sucked into the engine on magnum engines.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
bmhandyman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found a better solution sold the truck last night for $2600, should be worth around $3500 but its out of my yard now, with gas prices shooting through the roof thinks it may be time for a Toyota

Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 AM
bmhandyman
Angry

So the new owner called me last night said he simply looked in the throttle body and found oil inthe intake, replaced the manifold and plenum gaskets and the truck no longer has any issues.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! Did you ever check the plenum before you sold it? I have a feeling that if this thread was in the 2nd gen section, the first response would have been plenum. LOTS of 2nd gens need plenums, and lots of the recent threads in that section go: "hey, my truck sucks!" - "hey, change your plenum!" - "hey, my truck is all better!". In fact, we just had my dad's replaced with the hughe's kit last week.

I'm sorry about your loss

Old 05-01-2011, 01:06 PM
bmhandyman

The new buyer just called me this AM, problem NOT solved, seemed fine last night after he spent the entire day redoing the plenum and intake gasket, said went for a drive today and it did the same thing, I am thinking computer at this point

Old 05-02-2011, 02:10 PM
ol'shaky

I've gone through this issue enough times to know it right away when it happens. Truck runs great when cold, and ****s the bed when it's warm.

The fuel pump is shot. Once they get to that point, they'll work okay until the pump heats up somwhat from running and then you're done. Garanteed that's the problem.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ol'shaky; You might want to reread the explanation of the problem. I would point out that the info we were given was that after the truck was totally warmed up the problem goes away. That isn't what you are describing with a fuel pump failure problem.

Quick Reply: 92 - 5.2 liter running bad ready to give up!!!!