1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rich Fuel Mixture

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM
jacob
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Rich Fuel Mixture

Hey all, I have an '88 Ram 4x4 with the 318 and TBI. Recently I have had a lot of problems regarding rough idle, stalling out, etc. After changing some sensors, new plugs and what not, solved my problem with new ignition wires, it seemed I had some current leakage. Over the duration of this diagnostics process my computer has been telling me I had a rich fuel mixture, and I have noticed a drop in my fuel economy. There have been no other codes appearing. I figured that since it was running so well after the tuneup that it would solve this code, but after a 15 minute drive it is throwing the code again.

Its a little bit odd because according to the manual, when the rich O2 sensor code is thrown, the idiot light should stay on, but mine isn't coming on at all, just one of those background codes. I now have no idea what could be causing the rich mixture, and I have to pass emissions testing in a month, so I would like to figure this out. For the record, I have replaced my O2 sensor (2 years ago), my EGR valve is blanked off, all emissions based vacuum lines are disconnected (and blanked), I have true dual, free flow exhaust with 2 cats, also free flow, and the truck seems to be running better than the day it rolled out of the factory. Any ideas on this one would be great, because there is no way I am going to pass etest when it's running rich. Thanks to all!

Last edited by jacob; 04-26-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
jacob
Professional

I would also like to add, perhaps there is a possibility that the O2 sensor got ruined during the time that the engine was running poorly. In the winter, my thermostat got stuck open, and my fuel economy cut in half for about 6 months before I solved it, and then it corrected a lot.... but during this time, the truck was obviously running rich and could have carbon fouled the sensor???

Just a thought.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked the injectors spray patterns?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:11 PM
jacob
Professional

Yes, the pattern looked good and even, regardless, I had a second set of control modules that I swapped out just to be sure. Also, I have a vacuum gauge mounted on the dash, and everything looks good with that to, stable and good reading.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you unplug the 02 sensor, it will stop running so rich. I believe it defaults to a "safe" value, that is still probably a little on the rich side, but not overly so.

But, if the computer is telling you its rich, that means it should be trying to lean it. Whenever mine is plugged in, it gives me a lean mixture code, but dumps insane amounts of fuel in the intake.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM
jacob
Professional

Unplugging the O2 sensor should put it into open loop mode where it will continue to run a rich mixture regardless of engine performance, thus ensuring the engine is still operating if the O2 sensor is to completely fail, but it doesn't explain why the sensor is sensing a rich mixture under seemingly good operating conditions.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 AM
SEAL
Champion

Control modules? What do you include in control modules? I would consider the O2 sensor one of the control modules. You have said the O2 sensor may be carbon fouled. I would eliminate the possibility first. If the injectors are OK and the control modules are OK then there is no problem other than design.

Where do you live that they will pass a vehicle for emissions with the EGR system disconnected?

Last edited by SEAL; 04-27-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 AM
jacob
Professional

Sorry, I meant that I have changed the electronic component of the fuel injectors, ie the wires and 2 plug-in chips that sit on top. I was really hoping not to have to do the O2 sensor right away because I have seen a lot of good ones get swapped out as first attempt at a cure, and I'm on the student budget, so I would rather not have to sink 80 bucks on another trial and error parts.

Oh, and I live in Ontario Canada, they are pretty lenient to the old trucks, they will often try and help you out a bit. My egr however is blanked, but it still LOOKS operational, so it can pass visual if need be.

Last edited by jacob; 04-27-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
SEAL
Champion

I agree on one thing, "I hate parts replacement as a troubleshooting strategy." There are voltage and resistance checks that can be done on the rest of the computer input modules. (MAP, TPS, temp sensor, O2 sensor, and Hall Effect switch) These things and others all have an impact on the problem you are having and need to be checked.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Bobbyz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob
Hey all, I have an '88 Ram 4x4 with the 318 and TBI. Recently I have had a lot of problems regarding rough idle, stalling out, etc. After changing some sensors, new plugs and what not, solved my problem with new ignition wires, it seemed I had some current leakage. Over the duration of this diagnostics process my computer has been telling me I had a rich fuel mixture, and I have noticed a drop in my fuel economy. There have been no other codes appearing. I figured that since it was running so well after the tuneup that it would solve this code, but after a 15 minute drive it is throwing the code again.

Its a little bit odd because according to the manual, when the rich O2 sensor code is thrown, the idiot light should stay on, but mine isn't coming on at all, just one of those background codes. I now have no idea what could be causing the rich mixture, and I have to pass emissions testing in a month, so I would like to figure this out. For the record, I have replaced my O2 sensor (2 years ago), my EGR valve is blanked off, all emissions based vacuum lines are disconnected (and blanked), I have true dual, free flow exhaust with 2 cats, also free flow, and the truck seems to be running better than the day it rolled out of the factory. Any ideas on this one would be great, because there is no way I am going to pass etest when it's running rich. Thanks to all!
The emissions lines you disconnected may be the problem. Did it change after you plugged them off ? Just remeber these things are a system that depend on all parts working. And the EGR mite be it too. I would never disconnect anything on a commputer controled engine. UNLESS you have a chip in the ECU that lets you do this.

Quick Reply: Rich Fuel Mixture