1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

vacuum line for 4x4 actuator/u joint issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:15 PM
dodgedavedodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum line for 4x4 actuator/u joint issues

was looking to see if anyone knew where i could find a detailed layout on the vacuum lines .mine dont seem to go anywhere except from the actuator to the transfer case i know that is supposed to go to the manifold but it does not .
also i went to change u joint s in the rear shaft and found a bastard u joint in the shaft ,meaning someone changed the transfer case or the yoke on the back of the transfercase or the slip yoke on the driveshaft.which leaves me with a compination joint that has smaller caps and spread on the end that goes on the slip yoke and after searching all the places i could think of couldnt find a joint to fit it so i rebuilt the old one .now knowing that joint in not as big as the other as on the rear of the shaft if anything is gonna snap it will be that joint or slip yoke .so i am either looking for a new yoke for the transfer case or a new end for the slip yoke on the shaft or both to get the heavier u joint in there.any suggestions ?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The line from the manifold goes to an accumulator ball on the drivers side frame by the tranny. Next a line from the ball goes to the switch in the transfer case. Two lines go from the switch to the actuator motor on the axle tube. The last line from the switch goes up to a vent block usually in the passenger side fender.

I would measure everything to find out what is original and what was replaced to know what to look for concerning the u-joint.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:34 AM
dodgedavedodge

while the u joint was out it was measured with calipers here lies the problem , there is no such joint made any where ,by anyone .the joint is a combination of three different u-joints, which isnt a problem if you know what pieces you have and what they came off of.I however do not .and with the way parts stores are operated now a days if you dont have the application for the part the idiots behind the counter are lostand only a few stores still have books and fewer employees that can actualy use them.the days of the parts store people know what may cross refferance are long gone. I have cap sizes and spread sizes ,but its still a smalll u joint for a 3/4 ton truck and I dont want it in there if I can help it . your truck is only as strong as its weakest part .

Old 06-11-2011, 09:35 AM
dodgedavedodge

thanks for the vacuum line info Seal

Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to be too brief and I guess I didn't make myself clear so let me try again. Go to the parts store and have them pull the correct u-joint. Measure that joint and then compare those measurements with the measurements of the parts in your truck that hold the u-joint in question. (driveshaft, tail shaft, and yoke) This will tell you what parts in your truck are the wrong ones. Once you know this you can try to find replacements at the junk yard to get it back to stock.

Quick Reply: vacuum line for 4x4 actuator/u joint issues