1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diesel swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011 | 10:28 AM
DarkriderSE
|
Default Diesel swap questions

Ok i know this has been brought up before but usually its in 4wds. From what i understand i will need to change to the 3/4 ton/ 1 ton control arms and springs to support the weight up front. From what i read on a website the engine mounts are pretty much the same. Now my main question is this...Does the Cummins use the same bellhousing as the Small block V8 or the Big Block V8? I know guys have used the 727 behind it in the past. So im just trying to determine if i can reuse my current trans. I can expect i will prob need to change the torque converter of course. I plan on locating an early 12V from a 89-93 truck for this swap.

Old 08-09-2011 | 10:35 PM
fast_five_oh
Professional

like most others will agree with me...find a wreck donor truck, or even beter a titleless one ( buy it legally)

Old 08-09-2011 | 11:16 PM
DarkriderSE
|

Originally Posted by fast_five_oh
like most others will agree with me...find a wreck donor truck, or even beter a titleless one ( buy it legally)
That was def in the plans I guess i should have asked what all will i need to remove from a donor truck? Engine,wiring,front suspension, what else? What i was considering was buying a truck from another province for said donor. Remove all i can use and drop the parts into my truck which is already titled for the province i live in. I kinda want to stay with the 3 speed 727 if at all possible though. Mostly because this truck will not be used for hauling but it will see some time on the strip. Its a lot easier to build up a 727 for that sort of application.

Old 08-10-2011 | 07:29 AM
SEAL
Champion

I would really question the use of a diesel for a drag strip application but it is your money and time. Diesels are great for power but they do not wind up quickly like a gas engine.

Old 08-11-2011 | 10:13 PM
LowDodge
Amateur

You will need to dump some serious cash into that diesel if you want it to do any good at the strip. They can be built to be very quick but it takes a lot of $$$.
I like the idea though, I wanted to put a 95 cummins into my slammed 89. Never got around to it though.

Old 08-12-2011 | 07:37 AM
SEAL
Champion

You can soup up a diesel but the reliability of a diesel is lost. We ran 3 8V71TI Detroit Diesel engines in our 65 foot patrol boats in Spec War. We were getting 600 HP out of a 450 HP engine but they were a maintenance nightmare. The only reason we used diesels instead of gas was because of the flammability problem of using gas in a boat that is meant to go in harms way.

Old 08-12-2011 | 06:52 PM
LowDodge
Amateur

Also I have been to a few drag strips where they don't even allow diesels. Mostly due to people putting a bunch of bolt ons for quick horsepower without building the internals. One blew up at our track and took a huge chunk out at the starting line. Put an end to our racing that weekend.

Quick Reply: Diesel swap questions