1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie here needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011 | 08:32 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SixGun
Those stripes aren't gay cause they'd be vertical stripes if they were. You know, make you look thinner and prettier. Not to mention that it would be painted pink...ish.

Whoah, whoah, whoah. Watch who you are pointing that thing at, Sixgun!

Anyway, with the exhaust, I'd go to youtube, and listen to as many people with 3.9s as you can. Most of them will probably be dakotas. My buddy has an OEM replacement on his dakota, and it sounds nice, especially for a v6. I'll ask him what brand it is.

Old 08-14-2011 | 08:46 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

lol. those rims make great jack stands and they where free. i trust them more than normal jack stands that the you would place under the frame or axle. i have seen the rims i have painted and they can look nice but i can see it taking me forever to get around to. i have about a million things i want to do to my trucks. this week i am hoping to get from the y-pipe to the tail pip on my 81 painted to match the manifolds.

Old 08-14-2011 | 11:20 PM
SixGun
Veteran

Originally Posted by 1992antihero
And you seriously like those factory rims??? To each his own definetly. I mean I hate hubcaps. Especialy these ones cause there like freakin bowls. I could serious pop one of them off an go eat a nice diner of pasta or soup in them lol.
They make nice helmets too.

Dual exhaust with headers huh, I really don't like the hassle of headers due to fit and leaks. Now if Edlebrock ever made a set of their shorty headers that are a direct exhaust manifold replacement for our trucks I'd be on it. Some people swear by them but not me.

Duals would have to go down the passenger side since the gas tank is on the other. I have heard some V6's with duals that sound like crap but for me it's more about not spending for the extra cat and muffler since this is an econo build or at least it started that way. Trying to keep it basically stock for simplicity and I want to hear my stereo too so I got a real muffler instead of a blowthrough design. I don't think glasspacks drone but they are loud under full throttle. Spelled ticket in some places and cop bait in others. If you want to hear some mufflers go on YouTube. Theres lots of people testing mufflers on there.

Oh, be careful - Wolfie bites.

Old 08-17-2011 | 02:48 AM
codyglock

i had a buddy with a dakota (hes on this forum somewhere lol) with the same motor who thought it would be cool to straight pipe it, no cat too, and it was really loud and obnoxious even for me lol. he ended up putting on some knockoff brand glasspack and some knockoff brand turbo muffler on it and it was still really loud and it would still pop all the time. but this was running out of a single exhaust so that can make a difference.

Old 08-18-2011 | 02:43 PM
SixGun
Veteran

Glasspacks will crackle and pop but not turbo mufflers. It's the glass inside making the sound.

Quick Reply: Newbie here needs some help