1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

eng maint light what is it

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:25 AM
jeremy2717
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eng maint light what is it

i have a 87 d100 and yesterday i changed the starter and when i hooked the battery back up i have this light on in the dash. i have never even seen this light till it came on. im not sure what it is or why it would be on. it is the same as a cel? i didnt no that carbed trucks came with that since there is no pcm. any help with what this is would be greatly appreciated thanks jeremy

Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a maintenance light or a check engine light? Most maintenance lights come on at a certain preset mileage to remind you to do certain maintenance items. You can pay the dealer to shut it off, let it burn out, or remove the bulb. I understand that some 87s came with a computer behind the drivers headlight in the fender. You might want to look.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:25 PM
jeremy2717

so its really nothing i have a thing like that on my civic all i have to do is put my key in it to reset it though. ill take a look behind the headlight in the fender for a computer. what would it control thought if there is one? its a carb truck.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:31 PM
sls001
Captain

If it's like the earlier models, it's just a maintenance schedule light. You open the glove box door and pull it out all the way. Inside the dash towards the right side there is a box. It has a 9volt battery and a tiny recess button. You change the battery and push the button. Alternatively, you just disconnect it from the wiring harness pigtail and the light goes away...

Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a computer it would control spark and idle and you should check your codes.

1. Cycle the ignition key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. To cycle the ignition key ON means to turn it only as far as it takes to get the radio to come on. It does not mean to turn the engine on.

2. Count the number of times the "check engine" lamp on the instrument panel flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual codes. For example, flash-flash-flash [pause] flash-flash represents the code 32.

The computer will look like the one pictured on page 1 in this thread if you have one.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-no-spark.html

Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 PM
jeremy2717

i do have the same computer as the pic in the other post. but the light that is on is a maint light not a cel. ill look into seeing if i can find the harness behind the glovebox. thanks

Quick Reply: eng maint light what is it