1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

magnum swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 PM
jeremy2717
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnum swap

i have the chance to get a 318 magnum i wanna know if i can take the intake off my carbed 318 and put it on the magnum to still be able to run a carb. i wanna do that cause i dont really wanna mess with much wireing. is this something that could be done. or would it be easier to keep it fuel injected. also would my 727 i have now work with that. i have a 87 d100. thanks guys jeremy

Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you can stick a magnum in and keep the stock wiring but you will need a new carb friendly magnum intake manifold and a electric fuel pump with pressure regulator. you may also need other parts to install the magnum engine.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 PM
sls001
Captain

The intake will not bolt onto the magnum as is. You will need to find an aftermarket intake.
You will also need to install an electric fuel pump and regulator since the mag motor will not have a provision for a mechanical one.

You can install the entire mpfi mag motor and FI but you would need to notch the 727 trans for the crank pick-up, install the wiring and ecm and other necessary sensors. ...if you can get an entire engine and trans with the wiring and computer that would be easier.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 AM
aje1127
Veteran

there is a way to put a regular carbed intake on a magnum engine.
i sort of remember this from years ago [93-94] its alot of work,you have to elongate the holes for the bolts,and then fabricate adapters from the angle of the head to a flat mounting.
this was about the time the magnum first became popular,some people were puuting magnum heads on a LA engine.
it is possible though. there may even be a write-up about it on the net somewhere. good luck

Quick Reply: magnum swap