1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel injection to carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:25 PM
jeremy2717
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injection to carb

hi guys i was wondering how hard it would be to make a fuel injected engine work in my 87 d100 work with a carb. im looking for a replacement for my 318 and the only thing im really finding is newer fuel injected engines. can i just swap out the intakes and add an electric fuel pump and be good to go. i know magnum engines are a different setup and require a magnum intake to do a carb swap but what about no magnum engines. also would there be any wiring issues to deal with. i have a good bit of knowledge when it comes to wrenching but dont really know much when it comes to fuel injection or the computers to run them. im not real familiar with electrical but i can do simple wire extensions and things that dont require lots of diagnostics. also would my trans be a problem it is a 727. i know i would probably need a torque converter if i went with something other than a 318 but thats about it. any help from you guys on here is greatly appreciated thanks guys jeremy

Old 09-15-2011, 11:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

so you want to from carb to fuel injection? that could be expensive. you would need a electric fuel pump, in cab and under hood wiring harness and all the sensors and computer.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:49 AM
psycobilly64
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can find pre-93 LA model 318, your intake should bolt right on. You'll also have to use your stock vac advance distributor since the injected models use the comp to advance the timing.

Quick Reply: fuel injection to carb