1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 AM
toss42
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator

My 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi has a whining sound coming from underneath the hood which sounds as if the power steering pump is going.Had a backyard mechanic take a look and he saids that its the alternator.When you put your finger on the alternator and the engine is revved up you can actually feel the winding vibrations going through you.Could this be the problem.How can I actually check to be sure without the added cost of a garage. Tks.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:29 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The third Gen forum might get you more info. Is it charging properly? You can take the belt off and spin the pulley by hand. If it is smooth with no noise I would wait for something more concrete to happen before I blame the alternator. A long screw driver placed against the ear to various different locations on the engine and peripherals makes for a good stethoscope to help isolate noises.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 PM
toss42
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tks SEAL,but waiting for something more concrete to happen would just happen when your 50 miles on some old dirt road while hunting and nobody around.(lol)Maybe,just maybe, the pulley to seize or worst still, come flying off.I will though take your advice,somewhat,and do a double check.I to, hate parts replacement as a troubleshooting strategy.It can get quite expensive,that's why "DODGE FORUM" was recommended to me.The best advice payed only with great appreciation.Thanks for recommending third Gen forum.

Quick Reply: Alternator