1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'75 W200 won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's the fuel pump, the float bowl is always full of fuel when I take the carb apart. To rule out a clogged fuel filter and bad gas, I run a rubber fuel hose straight from a 5gal gas can to the pump with no change in performance.

When I cleaned the carb I did buy a rebuild kit but I used only the new gaskets, not the hardware. The reason being that the carb itself is only about a year old so I didn't think the hardware could be bad yet. I will pull the carb apart again and replace the hardware and clean everything again.

I'm also wondering if it could be an ignition problem. I'm getting spark at all 8 cylinders, but it's a very weak spark. Instead of a nice bluish white color the spark is yellow/orange. The plugs themselves have a ton of carbon buildup on them, and the plug wires are in sad shape. I went and bought a whole new set of plugs and wires, plus a new cap and rotor. Hopefully this solves the problem if cleaning the carb doesn't work.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

sound like a good start. you at least ow Bridget that much since you use will be using her to plow.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:43 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
sound like a good start. you at least ow Bridget that much since you use will be using her to plow.
Yeah she'd be a decent truck if I would take care of her a little bit. The problem is that I have two other trucks to maintain that are both daily drivers, so Bridget doesn't get much when it comes to maintenance.

I finally found the problem, there was a ton a water in the gas. I drained the old gas and rebuilt the carb again and she's running great! The reason I didn't catch the bad gas the first time is because I didn't give the new gas from the aux tank enough time to make it to the carb, it takes a full 3 minutes for the gas to make it from the tank to the carb. Is there some additive I can put in the gas tank to make sure this doesn't happen again?

Last edited by CSXfan; 11-27-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

glad to here you got her running good again. if the truck is going to sit for a long time it may be a good idea to put some fuel stabilizer in the gas and let it for long enough to get it in the carb so that nothing should gum up and require you to rebuild it again.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use stabil in my gas now that my trucks usage is down to less than 1500 miles a year. For water in the tank I add a can of dry gas every year in the fall. The dry gas bonds with the water and takes it thru the engine with no ill effects.

Quick Reply: '75 W200 won't idle