1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removal of Emmissions Control Devices Question for Older Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:52 PM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removal of Emmissions Control Devices Question for Older Trucks

I have a 1982 Dodge D350. I live in Virginia and am not required to have an emissions inspection for a vehicle over 25 years old.

I replaced my Carter TQ carb with a Edelbrock 1406 which is a non-emissions carburetor.

Which of my emissions related vacuum hoses do I need to reconnect to the carb?

-- Do I need the EGR hooked up?
-- I do have the PCV hooked up.
-- Are there other components that I can now remove, such as the Air Injection System?
-- Will not connecting the aspirator air system back to air cleaner become a problem?
-- Which hoses that were once connected to the carburetor and air cleaner can I plug up and not have a negative impact on perormance or cause any damage to the vehicle?

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as i know egr can just be plugged. I believe that your motor will not run near as strong with the aspirator disconnected. LOTS of others have taken emmisions off their motor, I am no expert but i think the best way is to just install a non emmisions intake manifold, then hook up the few vacuum hoses that are still there. Good luck, maybe someone smarter then me will speak up

Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help and insight. Very useful. I will continue my research before I do anything irrevocable.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:42 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with removing the EGR is the possibility of ping or knocking do to a rise in combustion chamber temps. You can make a cover plate for the manifold to take the place of the EGR valve to see if you get any ping or knocking. This is not radical and can be reversed easily by reinstalling the EGR valve.

Quick Reply: Removal of Emmissions Control Devices Question for Older Trucks