1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1988 5.2L issue..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM
scott_r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 5.2L issue..need advice

Hi Guys,

I picked up an old beater truck for dump runs and construction and am having a slight issue with it being hesitant when I accelerate. The truck idles fine when its warm, runs excellent at speeds about over 15 mph but anything under it it feels like its ready to stall.
I changed the plugs and ran 1 can of Seafoam through the gas. Is this a cap rotor problem? Im thinking of doing new wires and cap/rotor but am looking for other possibilites. This is fuel injected
Are the fuel pumps on these old girls in the tank or external? Im not a mechanic so please bear with me but I really enjoy learning about fixing things myself.

Cheers!!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome.

Pump is in the tank. Doesn't sound like a cap and rotor problem but If they don't look good they're cheap.

Have you checked the timing?

Look down in the throat of the throttle body to check the injector spray pattern. There should be a fine cone of atomized fuel at the bottom of each injector that reaches the sides of the throttle body with no gaps or streams. Low ambient light and a flashlight helps to show off the fuel cones easier. Let us know what you find.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are still running the tank with seafoam it will feel like it doesn't run good.

Quick Reply: 1988 5.2L issue..need advice