1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM
aje1127
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seal this has been going on for almost a year i just put it off.
it is a 9 1/4 limited slip, dont know if limited slip is the wright term for dodge. the pinion has no play or noise,the drive shaft was checked and ballanced at a driveline shop,also it was checked by the dodge dealer and they said it was the driveshaft. they sent it out again,and it still was not the problem.
i am in the process of replacing the master cyl,front and rear brake hoses,and the e-brake cables as we speak,just waiting on a few parts i ordered to come in.
i may hold off on bypassing the rear abs valve for now.got 2 of the fittings i need just need 1 more i think. thank you

Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 PM
aje1127
Veteran

well got the front and rear brake hoses on and the e-brake cables on.
put the new master cyl. on after i bench bled it,could not get any fluid at any bleed screews?? then i figured it is the plunger rod behind the master in the booster needs adjusting. the thing was to rusted to adjust. tried but the rod fell out of the booster. whatever i ordered a new vac booster,it will be in tomarrow late morning.it did have a slight leak (hiss)when it got like below 40,which is rare for here. every auto part store here has nothing for these era of dodge trucks,stuff needs to be ordered,some parts are a week in waiting,boy does this suck. thank you

Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 AM
aje1127
Veteran

maybe ill just cut my losses and put it up for sale,i dont really want to,just thinking about it. i got to much money and time in it though. thank you

Old 05-13-2012, 06:31 PM
aje1127
Veteran

well got the new vac booster on. the new master cyl. was no good,had to get another one. put the second master cyl on and it was all good,bled every thing all good. went to take out of the garage,the new vac booster was no good. i stepped on the brakes with it running and the pedal went to the floor by itself,i heard air suction and about 5 seconds later the pedal came up by itself. WTF !! all these auto parts (new) for these trucks are so hard to get. no one has another booster,soonest i can get 1 is tuesday morn. now i have to go and rent a car for 2 days to get to work.
my job is not around the corner its 30 mi. 1 way.
what a hassle this is cause of the auto part stores junk parts.
this just makes me want to give up on working on older trucks,car,etc.
i usually buy all my parts at OREILLY auto parts. i think all the parts they carry for these trucks have just been laying around for years because there is not a lot of them on the road anymore. parts just go bad from sitting in hot wharehouses(seals dryrot). this has to be what there problem with parts is but they still sell parts as new,they dont take into consideration what trouble this is for us fixing our vehicle. thank you

Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 PM
tooltime
Veteran

I have heard that napa has lots of parts for the older Dodge trucks

Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM
aje1127
Veteran

i live close to a napa wharehouse(distribution center) they would of had to order the rear brake hose. that is a common item that they should carry. i got it somewhere else. anything beyond regular wear items(brake pads,shoes,alt. starter. etc.) they all have to order parts from what seems like the end of the earth. when you do recieve them and they are no good,you are just screwd waiting for another part to come in. thank you

Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i hope you don't give up on the truck. it looks like a great truck. sometimes you just have to live with an issue. i know the ram charger i bought has a bit of a shake and pull to it. i am hoping to look more into the issue eventually but i am not going to go out of my way and spend money on stuff that is not clearly broken. just repair what needs to be fixed and hope you eventually stumble across what is causing the problem.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Aje, I feel your frustration. Hate to see you give up. How about a parts truck and transfer some of your goodies. You've got a good strong drivetrain, good sheet metal, and interior. That way it's not a total loss. Sell the leftover frankenstein for a hunting truck. See them all the time on Craig's List.

On your vibration issue, have you tried having someone drive behind and beside you to see what is vibrating. You could stay in contact with cell phones. I had a bent rim once that someone spotted driving behind me.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 AM
aje1127
Veteran

hey sixgun,i have no problem fixing anything,been doing this for years.
its just part stores are selling known new parts that are junk,and if its bad you have to wait forever to get another one cause they dont stock parts for our trucks. hell, these are used older AMERICAN trucks,thats what an auto part store is supposed to cater to and they dont even stock parts for them. its just becoming a PITA.
i have thought about the have someone follow me an check if anything shake or looks out of place.
what all goes on at MARBLE FALLS RAM JAM?? what weekend in may is that?? thank you

Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i hope you don't give up on the truck. it looks like a great truck. sometimes you just have to live with an issue. i know the ram charger i bought has a bit of a shake and pull to it. i am hoping to look more into the issue eventually but i am not going to go out of my way and spend money on stuff that is not clearly broken. just repair what needs to be fixed and hope you eventually stumble across what is causing the problem.
Wolfie, Ive had stuck calipers cause a pull and vibration a few times.
Just a thought.

Quick Reply: rear brakes