1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Temperature Light Does Not Come On

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Temperature Light Does Not Come On

My 1982 D350 has sensor lights, not gauges. The Engine Temperature light does not come on, except when performing the grounding test described in service manual, which involves grounding the Temperature Sending Unit (no. 4 below) with the ignition key turned to the "on" position. I replaced the Temperature Sending Unit and the light still does not come one when turning the ignition key. Should I have replaced the Engine Temperature Sendor (Item no. 10)?

Name:  318.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  318Engine-2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  30.7 KB

Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

do you know what thermostat is in the truck? have you ever hear the term dummy light. you will most likely not see it unless there is something seriously wrong. if you don't trust it you should probably just replace it with a cheap aftermarket gauge. i bought one for my truck after i installed the electric fans and it only cost me less than $20. i like knowing the temperature i am seeing is fairly accurate. my stock temp gauge never work on my truck until i install the 195* thermostat. if you can find a find a instrument cluster out of a 81-86 dodge ram truck with a temp gauge you could swap the temp gauge over but it would probably cost more than a cheap gauge.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response Crazzywolfie; I have a newly replaced 195 degree thermostat on the engine. I have a spare instrument panel that has a temperature gauges and oil gauge, this is left over from my speedometer swap from a couple of months ago that you helped me with. I have thought about either getting separate gauges or swap out the instrument panels. The question I have about replacing the panel with my spare, would any of the sensors have to be replaced since I am going from "idiot lights" to gauges?

Back to the idiot light...when I turn the key in the ignition, shouldn't the temperature light light up? the oil light and the seat belt lights do light up.

If I were to go with new gauges, I was thinking of a temperature, oil pressure and voltage meter. Where is the best place to put these and any suggested makes/models?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the oil pressure and temp gauge should be able to be swapped over or you might be able to use the other instrument cluster by just swapping the speedo back into it. my 81 came with idiot lights and i replaced them with the gauges since i had a spare IC out of a 86 ram that had the gauges. all the hole where there for them and the circuit boards appeared to be identical. the oil pressure gauge seemed to work great off the hop but the temp gauge did not seem to start working until i installed the 195* thermostat.

i would not worry about the temp light not coming on when you first start your truck. the oil pressure light coming on is telling you there is no oil pressure when you first turn the key on.

not sure what type of gauges to go with. i just found the cheapest electrical temp gauge that i could find. the gauges you want to get are a good choice. i would like to pick up a voltage and oil pressure gauge but i can't quite find what i want for the right price. i kind of mounted mine off to the side.

Quick Reply: Temperature Light Does Not Come On