1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling Kit for my 85???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You rang???

A lot of lift questions here. I was talking with a guy that does lifts in a shop and they use the 94- up coil spring spacers for the 1st Gens also. He swears they fit. Here's a link he threw out.
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/products.php?S_ID=49

He said to be sure that you limit it to 2" on 1st Gens because of ball joint/ control arm articulation. Now you can buy complete 2" lift coil springs. I got mine from Coil Spring Specialties and they can build custom springs for special cases. Eaton Springs can do 2" springs also. Same thing - 2" max.

For the back - you can use a block or add a leaf or get the complete spring pack. The complete spring is expensive tho. I went with the add-a-leaf. This will give you 2" and add curve for flattened springs.

I also went with a 3" body lift. Performance Accessories carries 2" & 3" lifts.
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...uscon/653.html

Keep in mind that with a body lift you will need to get a telescoping steering shaft. Borgeson and Flaming River are 2 off the top of my head. Borgeson is more popular and cheaper. Warning don't bother with the Borgeson rag joint - it is not a direct replacement. The body lift was pretty simple to install BUT it was a PITA to remove old rusty bolts. I had one snap and it took some time to remove. Take it slow and lube it well.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 AM
jahblah90
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by SixGun
You rang???

A lot of lift questions here. I was talking with a guy that does lifts in a shop and they use the 94- up coil spring spacers for the 1st Gens also. He swears they fit. Here's a link he threw out.
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/products.php?S_ID=49

He said to be sure that you limit it to 2" on 1st Gens because of ball joint/ control arm articulation. Now you can buy complete 2" lift coil springs. I got mine from Coil Spring Specialties and they can build custom springs for special cases. Eaton Springs can do 2" springs also. Same thing - 2" max.

For the back - you can use a block or add a leaf or get the complete spring pack. The complete spring is expensive tho. I went with the add-a-leaf. This will give you 2" and add curve for flattened springs.

I also went with a 3" body lift. Performance Accessories carries 2" & 3" lifts.
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...uscon/653.html

Keep in mind that with a body lift you will need to get a telescoping steering shaft. Borgeson and Flaming River are 2 off the top of my head. Borgeson is more popular and cheaper. Warning don't bother with the Borgeson rag joint - it is not a direct replacement. The body lift was pretty simple to install BUT it was a PITA to remove old rusty bolts. I had one snap and it took some time to remove. Take it slow and lube it well.
thats what she said lol jk thanks man for the info and links.that 3" body lift is insanely cheaper than i thought. i may add a leaf to the back as well. my front has a very big and noticeable sag now compared to the back so raising the front is at the top of the list. at least about 2.5" of sag. im going to get the coil spring compressor for the spacer tomorrow. i had not realized how dangerous coil springs were if let loose without the proper guidance. not even safety glasses could save me from that lol

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit for my 85???