1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'84 Dodge Ram 50 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Sidrom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '84 Dodge Ram 50 won't turn over

I got an 84 D50 this fall and just tried to start it, but it won't turn over. I figured it was dead (before I tried starting it), so I charged it. I wasn't sure if the charger was working right, so I tried starting the pickup, and it wouldn't turn over. I tried jumping it and the radio turned on, but when I tried to start it, the radio turned off and nothing happened.

The only thing I touched other than the battery since last time it ran was a ground cable. When I got the truck, I noticed that the negative battery cable had an unconnected connection about a foot from the battery. There was a connection on the chassis right there, so I connected it, and I never tried to start it since then until now. Should I disconnect that?

Sorry about the long post, I am kind of new to cars.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can try re-disconnecting that wire. It can't hurt. I would be very sure the battery is in good shape before I did any other troubleshooting. You can try jumping straight to the starter to find a starting point for further troubleshooting. Put the negative jumper cable on a bolt or some heavy metal part near the starter and then touch the positive jumper cable to the large terminal on the starter momentarily to see if it turns over. This eliminates the rest of the electrical system and tests the starter itself. Post your findings.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Sidrom

Thank you, I will try that as soon as possible.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Sidrom

It's been a while, but forgot about this post. Cleaned the terminals on the starter and poured some gas in the carb, started right up. Have to keep foot on gas for a few min a fter startup, and if I let it sit longer than a day it requires more gas down the carb to start.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by Sidrom
It's been a while, but forgot about this post. Cleaned the terminals on the starter and poured some gas in the carb, started right up. Have to keep foot on gas for a few min a fter startup, and if I let it sit longer than a day it requires more gas down the carb to start.
replace the fuel pump, it's low pressure circuit is too low...at least that is my take. It'll be cheap too, or try the fuel filter, just replace the fuel filter first.......

Quick Reply: '84 Dodge Ram 50 won't turn over