1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A triplet of trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack both rear wheels off the ground. Turn one tire and watch the other side tire. If it rotates in the opposite direction you can forget about posi-traction and any special additive. If they both rotate in the same direction it is posi-traction and needs the additive. I like to remove the cover and clean out the gunk in the bottom of the differential housing and check the amount if any of metal fragments and then start out fresh.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 PM
BigGreenBeastly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so i've found parts for the rebuild of my NP435 tranny... I have found a manual online to walk me through it... I do need a few tools and the time, but I feel "ok" about attempting the rebuild. Debating at this point whether to attempt it or not. I'm really nervous to do it as it would be my first time. Yet when I read the manual I think to myself "this really doesn't look that hard" just a lot of tiny parts that have to be put back in the exact order they came from.

Almost $300 for just the kit w/ synchros.. Should I really attempt this with no prior experience lol?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the proper replacement parts and tools is obvious. The real key to a first time rebuild like this is your work area. You need a clean place for the job where you can lay out the parts in the order of removal and leave them there. A place for everything and everything in its place. Clean one part at a time and put it back in the same place so you don't get mixed up. Read the procedure twice before starting so things start to stick in your head. This is not brain surgery but if you can follow directions you can do this.

Quick Reply: A triplet of trouble