1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1989 360 new cam really need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:03 PM
wyododgeboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1989 360 new cam really need help

Ok so i have a 1989 w150 with a 360 in it
I ordered a cam for it from jegs and the cam is flat tappet along with the lifters the cam is 260/268 adv duration and 430/450 lift.

I didnt relize until i pull the engine apart that the cam and lifters int he engine are roller lifters.

I would like to be able to use my new cam and lifters i just need to know if i need longer pushrods.

This truck is not to go fast just to go play in the mountains and cruise town so flat tappet would be ok.

I think and correct me if im wrong the stock pushrod lenght in an 89 block with roller lifters is 7.505-7.525.

I do know if i were to use the flat tappet that i would need longer pushrods.

So my big question is can i use the new cam in my engine and does anyone know wat the lenght of the new pushrods wil be if i can do this.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:35 PM
sls001
Captain

A question or two...are you going to keep the fuel injection? If so you may have driveability problems since the computer is configured and tuned for the factory roller cam and they are not very good at adapting to changes.

Also why would you want to get rid of the roller cam? Much faster ramp\lift rates, you don't need to add special additives to your oil (zinc) as you will with the flat tappet. You can also get a "towing" type roller cam that would play nice with your fuel injecion...

On to your questions...

As far as the push rod length the best thing to do is to use a push-rod length tool to determine the exact length needed. You also need to be certain you have the correct oiling type lifters and push-rods (oil through or non) as well as the push-rod diameter and clearance through the head due to the longer push-rods.

Pre-roller cam push-rods were 7.5" x 0.360(dia)
Roller cam push-rods were 6.78" x .3125

Pre roller engines oil came through the heads and fed the rockers where as roller engines the oil was pumped through from the lifters, push-rods to the heads

Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM
wyododgeboy

Ok this may be a dumb ? But that's why I'm here to learn .
Would it be possible to run my roller lifter with the cam I have I would think not because it is a flat tappet cam and correct me if I'm wrong should be used with non roller lifters.
Any advice is appreciated . Like I said still learning

Quick Reply: 1989 360 new cam really need help