1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chassis lubrication seals busted

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM
BigGreenBeastly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chassis lubrication seals busted

Was greasing my chassis as part of an complete tuneup and several of the seals/boots are busted and grease just pours out. Where can I get replacement seals???

Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean like on a balljoint? Here is one option. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...diyprod5-b2c15

If you are feeling really brave, use duct tape! (don't do it)

Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 AM
BigGreenBeastly

LOL... Those look about right.. but idk if it is the same thing... There are like 8+ seals along my chassis that need to be filled with grease via a zerk fitting/grease fitting and a grease gun..

Check out this video... the things that fill up with grease are the things I need replaced, the seals that hold the grease... Not the zerk/grease fittings...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB2RiRKDQ9k

Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most ball joint rubber covers are not sealed at the base. When you put grease in through the zerk fitting it displaces the old grease that is in there. If you continue to add grease any excess will just squeeze out. This is the way they are supposed to work.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 PM
BigGreenBeastly

I noticed that on a couple of them but on a few I can physically see that they are busted... it won't even fill up with grease, it just seap from the cracks. It looks like they have deteriorated from sitting or something... what should I do about those?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What to do? First I would identify what boots are shot. The 2 drag link ends or the 2 center link ends and look up those specific parts. Dorman makes replacements that can be had at any Advance auto. I would also check all joints to see if the joints themselves are good or bad before replacing any boots as new boots come with replacement joints.

I would not mess with the ball joints just for bad rubber boots. I would wait until the ball joints themselves are bad.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace them is always an option. The part I linked to is for more than just balljoints. If you don't feel like taking your whole suspension apart, you may want to actually consider "bandaiding" them with duct tape, then taking it off once the part is greased.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:58 PM
BigGreenBeastly

problem solved... just bought a parts truck... Won't be replacing everything as the joints don't appear to be shot just yet... but once they go I at least have the parts Thanks guys!!

Quick Reply: Chassis lubrication seals busted