1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A problem I didnt realize was a problem, tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Comrade General
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A problem I didnt realize was a problem, tranny?

Ok so I didnt ever really ask anybody until today about this so now it sounds like a might have a problem. Possibly with my transmission. One reason I wanted new gears was because I thought it would help rolling when on a hill. I figured the fact that acceleration was a little slower with big tires would be the same problem with the rolling but was talking to a friend on mine who is a mechanic said that it sounded like maybe a transmission problem but probably wasnt serious.

An example would be like in a stick shift when sitting on a hill (waiting for a light or something) during the time you take your foot off the brake and start to engage the clutch and give it gas you tend to roll backwards some, well my truck does that and it isnt an automatic. I notice this especially when I back out of my steep driveway, I have to give it alot of gas and if i stop on the hill i tend to roll a good bit then give it excessive gas which Ive skidded my tires before trying not to roll down into my garage.

Does anyone know what exactly this could be? Is it worn gears or soemthing?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean your truck is an automatic, right? Its fine. Your torque converter has to allow for some slippage so that you can idle in drive at a stop without stalling. Completely normal. I know that all the overdrive auto dodge transmissions I have experience with have a very "mushy" feeling torque converter. My trucks torque converter is pretty low stall and doesn't like to slip any more than it has to. Most hills it will climb at idle, but if its really steep it will stay still or drift back a very little. Always use the brake to keep you stationary, because if you rely on the pull of the transmission to fight gravity, you are just adding extra wear to all the clutches.

If your truck does it more now than when it was new, it could indicate wear. Big tires and a low numerical axle ratio means that your transmission is doing over time. I wouldn't really worry about it. An automatic transmission is essentially a wear item, and you might be swapping axles soon and giving it a break anyway.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
You mean your truck is an automatic, right? Its fine. Your torque converter has to allow for some slippage so that you can idle in drive at a stop without stalling. Completely normal. I know that all the overdrive auto dodge transmissions I have experience with have a very "mushy" feeling torque converter. My trucks torque converter is pretty low stall and doesn't like to slip any more than it has to. Most hills it will climb at idle, but if its really steep it will stay still or drift back a very little. Always use the brake to keep you stationary, because if you rely on the pull of the transmission to fight gravity, you are just adding extra wear to all the clutches.

If your truck does it more now than when it was new, it could indicate wear. Big tires and a low numerical axle ratio means that your transmission is doing over time. I wouldn't really worry about it. An automatic transmission is essentially a wear item, and you might be swapping axles soon and giving it a break anyway.
Ah ok, but it does do it more than what you are saying. It wont hold at all on say a 30%. Thats about what my driveway is.

And for axles, if I can find another deal then yeah. But so far the one I posted was the best deal. I cant afford 4 grand each on an axle.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can skid the tires by revving the engine on a 30% grade the tranny is doing its job.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Originally Posted by SEAL
If you can skid the tires by revving the engine on a 30% grade the tranny is doing its job.
lol ok.

Quick Reply: A problem I didnt realize was a problem, tranny?