1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1987 Carbureted Dodge Ram Popping and acts like it gets no gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Craig_Martin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Carbureted Dodge Ram Popping and acts like it gets no gas

I have a 1987 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton w/a 318. It has an Edelbrock 600 4 Barrel Carb, and I had it timed at a shop about a month ago. It has been driving fine for about a month, up until yesterday. I drove to town and was heading back, about 8 miles total, and it acted like it was barely getting enough gas just to stay running, but BARELY. I pulled over, tried starting it, and got nothing but it trying to turn over. I took the air filter off and put a couple drops of gas in (what i had in the can), and it cranked right up and got me home. Anyways, I was driving to work this morning, it ran fine up until i got to the highway. I got about 55 mph, and it started popping or coughing, and losing power, it kinda felt like the tranny was slipping but it wasnt. It just seemed like it wasn't getting enough gas, but i have half a tank, and someone told me it could be the backflows screen into the tank thats clogged? I haven't changed the fuel pump so that could be it, but i've seen lots of similar problems and none of the solutions were the fuel pump. Anybody have any suggestions? I adjusted the carb myself with no knowledge except adjusting a 1 barrel, and it's been running fine like that for about a month, so i don't think its the carb adjustments.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you checked the fuel filters?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
mpwheeler

Timing maybe? or clogged cat?

Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Craig_Martin

I don't think its the timing, and the fuel filter is good, are there 2 fuel filters? No cats

Old 05-01-2012, 03:10 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the truck is not stock there is no way for us to tell how many fuel filters are on your truck. Run the fuel line to be sure you know how many fuel filters are in the line.

Quick Reply: 1987 Carbureted Dodge Ram Popping and acts like it gets no gas