1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1991 dodge W150 dome light

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1991 dodge W150 dome light

I need some help. My son purchased a 1991 dodge W150 4x4 and the light around the key switch and the dome light does not go off when the doors are closed. He does not drive everyday and the battery is slowing draining.

Does someone have a wiring diagram and some helpful hints as to where to start looking? On the drivers side the door switch has two wires and the passenger door switch only has one wire.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:34 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you check to see what light bulb is in the dome light. if you stick the wrong one in i know it will stay on. should be a 1004

Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The door switches provide the ground for those lights. They are a known problem so I would start there. I can't seem to get the wiring diagram to paste here but if you will PM me your email address I will send it to you.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can remove the bulbs if you want. This will allow you to use the vehicle without draining the battery until you find the problem.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

could also make sure the dimmer switch is not turned all the way until it clicks. someone might have turned them on and forgot how to turn them off.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:31 AM
MNfarmboy
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crazywolffie, embarassing but true. Seal, thanks for your willingness to help and quick responses.

I didn't think to ask my son and when we were picking up parts for another issue we were asking for some tips on where to look for ground troubles. The guy gave some suggestions and mentioned the dimmer switch as part of the conversation and it didn't hit me until we got home that I should ask my son to try rotating it. He looked at me and said "huh?" He didn't even know that rotating the switch dimmed the instrument panels or would turn on the dome light, map light, and key light.

Dang kids, had to teach him what an LP was too!

Thanks all!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 PM
bigBonehead
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want to confuse him... show him a cassette tape and a pencil and ask him what they have in common...

Quick Reply: 1991 dodge W150 dome light