1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odometer not working - clarification

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 AM
GroundLoop
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer not working - clarification

Been searching and need some clarification. On my 92 W150 the speedometer works but odometer does not. I thought both the speedometer and odometer are controlled by the speed sensor in the side of the transmission. But just read on this forum that the odometer is controlled by a sensor in the top of the differential and the speedometer is controlled by the speed sensor in the trans. Can someone please clarify this. No mention of this in the repair manual I have.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you can find one at a junk yard that works it might be cheaper than fixing the current one. seems to be a common problem.
http://wiki.dieseltruckresource.com/wiki/Odometer_Fix

http://www.speedometergears.com/chrysler-odometer-gears

Old 05-22-2012, 01:08 PM
GroundLoop
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the odometer apart and do not have any broken gears. That's why I was second guessing the sensor that feeds the odometer. But if I know it is the same sensor that feeds the speedometer, then it has to be the odometer motor that is DOA.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

as far as i know the only sensor that does anything for the speedometer and odometer is the one in the transmission. the one on the rear axle is suppose to be rwal.

Quick Reply: Odometer not working - clarification