1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED Tailights

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Tailights

I tried to search here and got nothing so here it is

I have a 1985 dodge w150 and I want LED tailights.....no not the stupid led bulbs that replace the 1157's. From what I can find out nobody makes any am I wrong on that????

I have come to the conclusion that maybe ordering led lights for a newer truck and modifying the box to make them fit might be the way to do it, has anyone else done this???? if so what did you get tailights for?? Maybe I am a nut but I really like how much brighter the led lights are and I think my old dodgee needs em

Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i have never seen any led tail light assemblies for these trucks.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

hmm over a hundred and fifty people have looked at this post and no one has done a mod like this???

Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

no. i have been on here and a couple other dodge forums and never really seen any. there is just no after market stuff for first gen dodge trucks. if there was i would have found it. i have been looking for years. i have been extremely disappointing with every led bulb that i have tried outside the cab. i think if you wanted something you would have to get creative.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 PM
SpencerPRich

it should be pretty easy to make your current ones LED. They sell larger LED squares that plug into the socket and they are like, 3x3 or 3x4 all LED.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:43 AM
MikeBigRedDodge
Rookie

I have clear tail lights and clear side markers. That's the closest to aftermarket you will get.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:56 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

Originally Posted by SpencerPRich
it should be pretty easy to make your current ones LED. They sell larger LED squares that plug into the socket and they are like, 3x3 or 3x4 all LED.
I have never seen anything like that...any idea who sells them???

To clarify for you other guys I will be repainting my truck this fall, with a little bit of cutting , and or welding, and bodywork, I am sure I could use led tailights designed for lots of different trucks, like maybe ones for a mid ninties chevy, or a dodge of the same era....the only dimesion that is really important is the width from the corner of the truck to the tailgate. any light used couldn't b wider in that spot.
Like you said Crazywolfie I might just get creative

Last edited by beakerztoyz; 06-22-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:49 AM
MikeBigRedDodge
Rookie

Lights from a early 2000/ late nineties ford van might fit and match the body lines nice

Quick Reply: LED Tailights