1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power window problem 1989 d150

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 AM
shephdt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window problem 1989 d150

I didnt find any really helpful threads when i started working on my truck so i thought i would post this to maybe help someone in the future.

Couple months ago I bought an 89 d150. Pretty much a work truck that I needed. We still have state inspection and to pass, the drivers window needs to be operable. Local shop--they're good people--looked at it and told me it was the regulator.

I thought I could do it myself, so I ordered regulators for both doors. I took off the door panel, wrestled with the pieces inside, drilled rivets to get the regulator out, etc.

It wasn't just the regulator, it was also the gear in the motor that makes the power change directions and operate the window.

I had a devil of a time getting thing back together. Not that it is the only way, but for me the following worked: I started with the regulator arm that goes on the door, got that started, and then reattached the regulator to the door. Then I worked on getting the regulator attached to the glass in both places, and the glass in the track.

I'm still to sure that I have it right, but everything is in place and works, but the window is slow/weak moving. And now that I've typed this out, I can see that I mat not have the regulator spring attached correctly....hmmm, I'll have to check it.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:27 PM
shephdt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update---I evidently ran the battery down making sure the damn thing worked at all. Charged it up, and with the truck running the window works great.

Quick Reply: Power window problem 1989 d150