1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

manual Transmission swaps

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual Transmission swaps

read a little on this in another thread but didnt wanna hijaq it.

I have a 1985 dodge w150 pickup {thats the fur by fur} it has the stock 360 which I have understand to be the LA block. and a four speed transmission, and of course a transfer case.

I have kinda been thinking for a long time that it would be handy to have more gears, that way I could say downshift while going up a big hill with my camper on it. or I could get better mileage on the highway, and well anyways I like shiftin gears.

I dont wanna spend a fortune, but am curious which trannys would fit without too much work?? could I use a six speed out of a newer dodge truck?? or a five speed? if so from what year trucks and engine setups.
if you have done a swap like this how did it work out???? Thanks!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are not towing a ton of weight, you could look at an NV3500 out of a dakota or 1/2 ton ram v8. If you want something heavier duty, NV4500's were offered behind 2nd gen 2500 v8's, but are hard to find. Same trans as behind the diesels, but slightly lighter duty. These would behave similarly to your trans, but smoother and with an overdrive.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so happens that I have done this very same swap. Best mod I have made yet. I found a NV3500 out of a 1996 4X4 Ram 1500. '85 T-case bolted up to it, no problem. Had to relocate an alignment pin, but other than that, t-case went right on. They are about the same length as your standard 4speed that you already have, so driveshafts dont need modified. Crossmember is in the same location. I just had to make a small riser for the rubber trans-mount to get the angles correct. I can post a pic if needed. Shifter hole needed trimmed slightly in the back area (dont know if that will apply to you being as I used a '78 body on my '85 chassis). I used the hydro shift line/ master and slave cylinders from the '96, poked a hole in the firewall and welded a mount for the master cylinder rod to hook to the pedal. Through on new u-joints while I had the driveshafts out.
Total cost of swap... roughly $550. Fuel saved by having an OD... priceless.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM
beakerztoyz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys I appreciate the info!

Quick Reply: manual Transmission swaps