1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NEED HELP! 1992 Dodge w250 leaf spring

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 PM
BMLudwig
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! 1992 Dodge w250 leaf spring

alright guys here's the deal. I have a 1992 Dodge w250 360 engine. my front leaf springs were completely shot so I tried to find replacements. When I couldn't find them, I had some springs built St. Louis Spring company. I couldnt find a part number on my springs so I looked up the OEM part number and gave that to him. For some reason, the springs they built had five leaves instead of three. Now to my problem. Driver side bolted right up no problem. Moved to passenger side and removed the old leaf spring. (had to grind the shackle bolts off because they were seized in the bushing and I couldnt force them out. The problem is that there is only one u-bolt on the passenger side the other mounting point is two studs pressed or somehow fixed into the axle housing. Since my springs are an inch and a half taller than stock, these studs are too short! I cannot get the nuts to start on the studs with the top plate on the leaf spring. I know there are a ton of lifted w250s and surely someone has run into this problem. I just cant find the answer anywhere. I need to know what to do, where to get studs, how to get old ones out, etc. My truck is in pieces right now and its my only vehicle. so I really appreciate any help you guys can give!

Attached Thumbnails NEED HELP! 1992 Dodge w250 leaf spring-axle.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 08:09 PM
sls001
Captain

I hope you used new u-bolts...never reuse them!

Call the spring shop and ask them for the bolts or check with the various online 4x4 shops
http://www.bluetorchfab.com
http://www.wfoconcepts.com/cr/U-Bolt...re.php?crn=236

The studs thread into the axle housing. Soak them with some type of rust penetration. A large stud puller might work, If you have a set of "parrot" jawed pliers they might work or you can try double nutting it in combination with heat. Just be careful not to overheat the housing as you will ruin your inner axle seals.

Edit: you could replace them with long grade 8 bolts; cut the heads off and thread the ends

Old 07-29-2012, 08:25 PM
BMLudwig
Amateur

Yes I have new u- bolts. My worry about getting the studs out is that the nuts on the studs required aero-kroil and heat. I'm just imagining how tight the studs must be to not turn out when the nut is screwed off. Are they reverse thread or how do they keep the studs from backing out when the nuts are screwed on and off? Also, what are the studs called? I've searched axle studs and nothing comes up. Getting them out only helps if I can find taller studs to put in. Thanks for your help thus far!!!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 PM
sls001
Captain

Spring perch studs

I'm kind of surprised they didn't come out on their own but it does happen they don't. They are standard thread (not left hand).

Keep soaking them and try double nutting them and screwing them out. Or as stated use a little heat.

Your spring shop should be able to make them for you if they made your u-bolts. Or just call one shops from the links I gave you another one to call is Off Road Design or even Mad 4x4

Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 AM
BMLudwig
Amateur

Thanks a ton for all your help! Got the studs out. Had them soaking overnight in aero-kroil ( awesome stuff, but expensive!). Couldn't find an extractor, just used the double nut. Came right out no trouble at all!

Thanks again!
Brian

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! 1992 Dodge w250 leaf spring