1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Slak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging down

Seems to be getting worse but i have an 87 dodge 150 318 and it doesnt run good at all when accelerated to much. Picks up speed very slow but as i ease off the gas i can feel it begin to pick up speed. The truck doesnt miss and runs fine if i just drive it easy. Just doesnt want to take the gas for some reason. On the first start in the morning just half the throttle and off and it cranks right up. After warmed up it is harder to crank if i ever touch the foot pedal. I look in the carb and hit the throttle and it is squirting plenty of gas. The truck set up for 8 years and has 140k original miles on it. Was also wondering what vacuum lines i could plug off and if i can plug off the black canister with 2 big hoses going to the carb, 1 to the tank and a small vacuum line. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

that vent line that runs from the gas tank to the black charcoal canister should never be plug. if you plug it pressure will build up in the tank on hot days and force gas into the engine. if the engine is stock then the timing chain could be stretched and the timing need to be adjusted for oit to run better.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Slak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill have to check that and see. I have noticed if i take off and stomp it it usually makes the carb spit. In park it seems to be a lot better. Just when its under a load. One guy told me it could be the high speed jet. Its been over 100 degrees here and when it was cool weather it was a lot better. Cranks just fine in the morning but after warmed up it either cranks easy or has to turn over more than it should and i usually have to give it a little gas as soon as it cranks then its fine.

Quick Reply: Bogging down