1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

87 Ram auto Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Gabeius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 87 Ram auto Transmission problem

So I just bought a truck the other day. It is an 87 Dodge Ram. I have had no problems witht it but this was only my fourth time driving it. I was showing somebody how to shift from drive into overdrive and that is when I could not shift back into Neutral, park or anything. The shifter was wobbling up and down. Finally I slowly manouvered it back into park. Then I tried again, it had no problem going into reverse, nutral, or drive, I didn't dare put it into over drive again. It is giving me no problems in Reverse drive or neutral but is this a sign of something really bad. Or could it be an easy problem. He claims it is low kms and the transmission fluid was clean.. Any help would be appreciated.. Thank-You! 87 Dodge Ram V8 with a 318.. Do you think I got ripped off. The Transmission also has a second cooler on it off of a 1 ton. Any help would be appreciated I am kinda dissapointed because it is such a fresh buy ... Thanks! I also forgot to mention when I mean wobbly I mean it was off the grid or something like my notch wasn't moving but the arm was. It wasn't grabbing the gears or moving the notch to show what I was in. It still reved high but I when I got it back it seems to work fine. I never tried 1 or 2 Before and when I did thats when I got ****ed up. Can I get away wih just not using that ever and it will be fine or should I fix this before I keep driving? I'm worried !! THANKS!!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:48 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you slid underneath and inspected the linkage? should also inspect the transmission mounts. i would guess if it has a overdrive transmission that someone has swapped it in there since they didn't start using overdrive transmissions in trucks until 89.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 AM
sls001
Captain

CW is correct and early Dodge 1st gen trucks only had a button on the dash for OD and only the standard 3 speed PRND21 shifter.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Gabeius

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
have you slid underneath and inspected the linkage? should also inspect the transmission mounts. i would guess if it has a overdrive transmission that someone has swapped it in there since they didn't start using overdrive transmissions in trucks until 89.

Okay your correct. I don't know much about trucks. Its 1 and 2 that dont work just R N and D work.. Sorry and I guess it could be a linkage problem I' mgoing to have to get it looked at unless I know someone who knows how or if it is easy enough I can check myself. Thanks for making me realize lol thats okay tho I just wondered about 1 and 2 .. I wont use them anyways so its not that in convienent but I was wondering if its a sign of the others going on me soon too. Thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Birge
Rookie

its probably just a linkage problem, in your normal operation which should be D, the transmission still uses 1st and 2nd gear. I would say you just have things out of adjustment, a transmission shop can help you with this. Or you can get a book from the autoparts store and start reading. Its likely that if you purchased a truck from 1987 your going to have more issues than just this so you better start learning quickly or paying a mechanic lots of money. Also this site is a very good resource.

Quick Reply: 87 Ram auto Transmission problem