1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Guidance on Removing Wiper Arm

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i noticed that they were label but could not tell the difference so i did not correct the previous owners mistake of putting them on backwards.

now i do have to say i think i like the newer style wiper arms for how much better the wipers clip on. i have had a bit of bad luck with the bayonet style ones and clips braking while the wipers are on so the wipers would turn sideways.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:57 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recommend using pick & pull arms. I replaced one of mine with a new one when the spring inside broke. The wipers cleaned much better after that so I replaced the other one. I think the springs loose tension with age. The after market blades are not marked R & L, the are identical.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 AM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seal, do you remember where you purchased the wiper arms? I haven't been able to find an aftermarket wiper arm for my '82.

There are some Dorman's here: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...in&No=0&Npp=10

but not for my make/model/year.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:27 AM
SEAL
Champion

It has been several years but I got them from Advance for sure and I think they were Trico arms.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 PM
pumbu
Professional

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones I found at Pick-n-Pull were on a 70's model and matched the length and style of my 91 exactly. They were so clean that they caught my attention. They were Anco replacements stamped on the bottom.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:03 PM
SEAL
Champion
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM
pumbu
Professional

Thanks Seal. One can search all day long and still not find some parts.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i think there is a few more first gen's around then you think and if you can not find one i know of a couple guy on other forums in the Texas area that might be able to help you locate what you may be looking for.
You would be surprised how many first gens have disappeared in the last 3 years.
Originally Posted by SixGun
If you need new arms, they are like $5 at the pick-n-pull. I really don't think that they will come flying off or anything without the tab. The pressure with the spring against the glass and the stem to the motor should hold it in place. I have a tab broken off and they are, as you've found out, pretty snug. From the looks of it, all first gens seem to have the same wiper arm. That's a lot of spares at the JY. If you break one and it's not re-useable, doubtful, then give me a holler and I'll send you one. Pretty sure the shipping is more than the replacement though. LOL, they are a dime a dozen. Don't use car arms. I think one of mine was and it was shorter and changing the blade didn't help. It was bent backwards in a weird way that changed the angle to the glass or something. Changed the arm and it worked fine.

Also, don't know if anyone has noticed this but the arms are labeled left and right. To the naked eye, they appear the same.
Alright. I think I won't break the arms, just...maybe....destroy some paint and scrape my knuckles a bit.

Eh, project truck anyway.

Quick Reply: Need Guidance on Removing Wiper Arm