1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Booster or Master Cylinder or Both?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 PM
RonsBlackRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Booster or Master Cylinder or Both?

Hi all. I'm new here and to Dodge. I bought a 1992 D250 5.2 4x4 a couple of days ago after my wife's 96 Bronco kicked the bucket. I'm having an issue with the brakes. They seem to stop OK but with having to apply a little more pressure than what I think would be normal. There is also a hissing coming from under the dash where the brake goes thru the firewall. Also there is a leak on the backside of my master cylinder.

I know I should go ahead and replace the master cylinder but my question is would the hissing be caused by a bad booster also or could the hissing be something else?

I've also checked the check valve and hose for leaks and didn't find any.

I have another question. I just checked my VIN and it says that it is suppose to have a 5.9 360 in it but the PO told me that it was a 5.2 318. How can I visually tell the difference so I know what I have?

Thank you for any help

Old 08-17-2012, 06:51 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pretty sure that is a booster issue. Obviously the MC needs replaced, but I think with the weak booster will just result in weak assist. Of course, don't trust your wife's life on me saying "I think". As for the engine, I think on the driver's side of the block, there may be some casting info.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:31 AM
RonsBlackRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went ahead and replaced the booster and mc. It feels like a different truck now. Hell, I'm just happy not to hear the hissing in the cab any more.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of few visual differences that I know of between the 5.2 and 5.9 is the harmonic balancer (dampener). on the 5.9, there should be a groove or a notch in the balancer. Groove/notch is not present on 5.2 harmonic balancer. Glad your brakes are back up to par. I always laugh at people that cut me off and think, "You really trust the brakes on this 34 year old, 6000k lb truck?! Lol!"

Quick Reply: Booster or Master Cylinder or Both?