1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EFI in early 1st gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EFI in early 1st gen

I have searched this forum and found a few threads that related, but i would like to go a little deeper and maybe verify some info. I am looking into dropping an EFI 5.9 out of a '99 in my '78 Power Wagon. I could carb it, but I would like the reliablity, driveablity, mileage...ect of fuel injection. From what I have read, the fuel injection off of anything post '95 is a returnless fuel supply, correct? Also, I have read on building a stand alone engine harness from other threads, but if anyone has experience, I would be thankful. Diagrams, pictures? Also, I have read about thinning down the harness from the bulkhead forward (engine side,) but if I am not using the harness from the firewall - back (dash and chassis), how would I plug in the computer? Isnt the computer in the under-dash harness? This isnt my first EFI conversion, just not familiar with chrysler's setup. Thanks a million, Scooter.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to run a 99 EFI engine you will need the wiring harness and the computer from that 99 unless you are very good with wiring and have a lot of time. A computer can be moved just about anywhere if you are going to do a full homemade harness.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think using the computer system out of anything 97 or newer would be a nightmare because everything is pretty much digital.

as far as gas mileage goes i don't think installing a fuel injected engine will get you better gas mileage without swapping transmissions. if i was to put the same transmission in my 81 that my 93 had they would most likely be getting the exact same gas mileage even tho 1 would be carbed and the other fuel injected.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Scooter78
Captain

Engine, harness, computer are all from same truck, so the computer will already be set up for that engine. As for the transmission upgrade, I forgot to mention that I have already done that. I am running a fresh rebuilt NV3500 5 speed. I know its lighter duty than the NV4500, but it was available at the time and was originally behind the 5.2 magnum that I already put in my truck. (Carb'd that one.)

Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

ok. then i don't think you will gain much from sticking a 5.9 in there other than the more power and torque. i guess you could find the wiring out of a 95 or older truck to get it running. using the wiring out of a 99 would almost be impossible unless you swap everything including the dash.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Would the earlier wiring harness plug into the later fuel intake? Injectors and sensors?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Scooter78
Captain

crazzywolfie - "i don't think you will gain much from sticking a 5.9 in there other than the more power and torque."
Right....? Isnt that the point of most engine swaps?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i think you could swap some of the sensors from your current engine over onto the new engine but then there are thing like there only being 1 hole in the intake for 1 temp sensor. i think they also changed the plug on the injectors in 98 or so.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Scooter78
Captain

Honestly I am not all that concerned with being able to get it to run with the '99 harness and ECU. However, if someone has done it and has some advice, I wouldnt object. I am a little worried about emissions. O2s in particular. I dont have testing here, or inspections, but I dont want my engine to run too rich or lean because both of my O2s have the same reading. I am not installing a cat so the pre-cat and post-cat O2s will read the same. Will it matter or do I need a dummy O2 (O2 simulator)? I will NOT install a cat to accomodate my ECU's love affair with Al Gore or the EPA.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 AM
JGC403
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a SCT tunner and use that to remove the after CAT O2 or you can just let the after CAT O2 just hang in the open air. A lot of Jeep guys just remove the after CAT O2 from the exhaust pipe and tuck it up behind a heat shield. Don't waist your money on the O2 simulators.

Last edited by JGC403; 08-30-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: EFI in early 1st gen