1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

spitting fuel out usually means the floats are stuck and allowing the fuel to keep being pumped into the float bowl and out the vent. you could try tapping on the float bowl to get them unstuck.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 PM
dhfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may be right the research i did though made it sound like it would be a constant spray if the floats/float was stuck, this is more erratic, like cranks a few seconds then more like a blow hole spray, cranks spray cranks a bit more and sprays, rather than a squirt. from what others on other forums and threads, this type of carb spit was usually related to timing? or am i wrong?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

is the fuel being blow out of the 2 barrels or is it being squirted out of 1 hole in the top of the carb?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No such thing as an AFB competition 2 bbl. carb.
AFB is Aluminum Four Barrel.
If it is a Carter two bbl. it is most likely a BBD.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Timing will cause the blowing of fuel out the top of the carb intermittently as you crank it over and can prevent the engine from starting depending how far off the timing is. Flames are always a possibility here also so be careful. CW asked the appropriate question about where the fuel is coming from.

This is obviously a little late but if the rockers are removed from the shaft you should be sure they go back in the same spots they came from just as the push rods should. Another thing is the hold down bolts should be installed and tightened no more than a half a turn each and move on to the next bolt until the proper torque is reached. This is to prevent the possible bending of the shaft.

Last edited by SEAL; 10-09-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:03 PM
dhfan

yea it was getting dark last night so we were in a hurry both vlaves we closed but the exauhst must have just closed or been only slightly open, it was 180* out, tried to start it after that no more fuel coming out but I think i still need to tinker with the timing just a little bit untill it will stay running.thanks again for all the help!

Old 10-29-2012, 05:53 PM
dhfan

*UPDATE* Finally got the truck running and running great at that. with the new cam ( sum-6900 ) timing was set to 14* advanced and now it runs better than it ever has very smooth with some very nice pep! sounds great too. only problem I ran into was the hvac vacuum connector behind the radio had crumbled into nothing causing a whistle or wine behind the dash every time I gave it throttle, i plugged all the connection hoses back there for now until I hook them back up the way they are supposed to be. Thanks again every one for your help and brain storming could not have done it with out you!