1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hello everyone, new Dodge Ram owner here, it's a 91

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Sniper X
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello everyone, new Dodge Ram owner here, it's a 91

Even though I have had pick up trucks since I was a teenager, I have never owned a Dodge truck. I have had Chevy's and a Ford, but never a Dodge although I always wanted one. Well, the LONG wait is over! I needed a 4x4 for my small ranch and the 4x2 Chevy I have (1974 3/4ton) wasn't cutting it in the snow. I live way up at 7500ft in the Mountains outside Albuquerque New Mexico and we get snow.

I had a motor cycle I wasn't riding and decided to trade it for a truck and got a nice old 1991 Ram with a 318 4 speed and 4x4, SWB. Came with nice set or new AT TA's on iut and some Jackman style wheels and it is in great shape. So far the only thing that has happened to it weird is twice now it has refused to start right at first after starting fine all day numerous times. It wasn't hot or too cold and it hadn't been run hard or anything. the first time it had been sitting after being completely warmed up for about an hour whilst I stuck the new head unit in it, and when I tried to fire it up to listen to the new radio, it wouldn't fire up...it would just spin the starter and not start. I stopped trying for about fifteen seconds, then it fired right up and ran as if nothing was ever wrong. Then after another hour of working on it later in the day, after I cleaned all the dust off the motor and under the hood, and degreased it after a good rinse with a spray bottle it did it again.

Now it fires right up but I am wondering what the heck happened. Is this a sensor going out or just s fluke?

I'll post up some pics here in a short, I installed my CB radio and the new head unit and cleaned it all up.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Sniper X
Captain
Default PIcs

Old 09-09-2012, 08:25 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

welcome.

i don't think there is any sensor that would prevent the engine from starting. i think it was a fluke. i would guess your truck would be like many others and you fuel line is loosing its prime. sometime it could be as simple as the fuel pressure regulator or a leaky injector.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Isn't 91 fuel injected? If so it would have a crank sensor and that will keep it from starting. I had very simalar starting issue with a Napa crank sensor in my 96 Ram.

Dave

Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

91 should still have a hall effects setup in the distributor. they did not start using a crank position sensor like you are thinking of until 92 when they started using the multi port fuel injected magnum engine.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Ok thanks.

Dave

Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Sniper X
Captain

I figured it out, it is a sticky fuel start relay. On the drivers side, middle relay, 4 pin Bosch type. I have like ten of them so will check it to see if it has anything weird about it other than the plastic surround deal and stick a new one in there when it is light tomorrow.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
91 should still have a hall effects setup in the distributor. they did not start using a crank position sensor like you are thinking of until 92 when they started using the multi port fuel injected magnum engine.
Right, no crank position sensor on the 91, hall effects in distributor which are very reliable form what I have heard. Problem happened again tapped on the relay and fired right up. Asked the PO just for the hell of it and what does he tell me? Tap on the center of the three relays and it'll not happen again for months. Well, I think I need to just install a new one! LOVE the truck. Funny how some guys just never feel right unless they have a truck....I know you guys understand!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:45 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW - that's one good looking truck. Can't wait to see some pics of it working in the snow.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice truck!

Quick Reply: Hello everyone, new Dodge Ram owner here, it's a 91