1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Bed

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Preacher In Seville
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Bed

I have 83 Dodge 150 Step side. Will this truck take the regular short bed without modification and if so what years will work on it without any modification.

I assume that I cannot put a long bed on it, but I guess I would like to know that also.

Thanks,
Randy

Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Sniper X
Captain

If I am not mistaken, yes you can do a SWB (short wide bed) and remove the step side bed. You can not use a long bed as the wheel base is a lot longer on a LWB (long wide bed) than any step side or SWB.,

Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Preacher In Seville

What about years, I'm new to the Dodge, coming over from Fords. What years cross over for use in the 83 Dodge Ram 150 that I have as far as body parts and such.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by Preacher In Seville
What about years, I'm new to the Dodge, coming over from Fords. What years cross over for use in the 83 Dodge Ram 150 that I have as far as body parts and such.
on that I am unsure but for safeties sake I would keep this thread alive till someone who HAS done it chimes in but my take is any first gen short bed with all the electrical parts will probably swap in no sweat.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You CAN put on anything from 1972-1993. 1981ish to 1993 will have the right body lines and look right. 1981 to 1990 will even have the same trim, if you have the black plastic and chrome moulding. As far as the lights, the very worst case is that you'd have to splice in the new harnesses. It would be a total of maybe 12 wires I believe. I've never had a step side bed's lights apart, so I don't know what the connections all look like.

Quick Reply: Truck Bed