1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

78 Dodge D150 318 dual ballast wiring diagram.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
oldiebutgoodie
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 Dodge D150 318 dual ballast wiring diagram.

I Just wanted to post this 78 dodge 318 dual ballast wiring diagram for all to use...I highlighted all wires related to ECU, Ballast, coil, dist......Iv seen a few out there, but this one made it alot easier for me to trace down my "no start electrical issue"

Last edited by oldiebutgoodie; 10-12-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you easy we could have gave it to you

Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
oldiebutgoodie
Rookie

Thanks Crazzywolfie, I had your diagram, But it was not near as detailed as the other one I found...Maybe same thing? But my little brain just couldn't wrap itself around that one...But seen the light with this other one I posted....Just thought someone (like myself) that might be strugling with it, might have better luck with this other diagram...I just couldn't figure it out with that diagram...until I seen this other one... Thanks again sir..

Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 PM
yellowdog87
Default IN re: Diagram

Originally Posted by oldiebutgoodie
Thanks Crazzywolfie, I had your diagram, But it was not near as detailed as the other one I found...Maybe same thing? But my little brain just couldn't wrap itself around that one...But seen the light with this other one I posted....Just thought someone (like myself) that might be strugling with it, might have better luck with this other diagram...I just couldn't figure it out with that diagram...until I seen this other one... Thanks again sir..
Agreed with you to the diagram crazzywolfie posted, do you know of any better ones? Need the diagram for starter relay thru firewall and my truck has an orange ignition wire that went to the back of the fuse box, not getting spark or had 2 small yellow sparks.

I am wiring it top of four way ballast right side goes to + coil and then had a wire going to bal on fender starter relay, also have both bottom ballast prongs going to the 'hot' junction/intersecting link, top right going to ecu.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

from what i remember the orange wire that runs to the starter relay goes to the ignition switch.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 AM
moe7404
Record Breaker

a big hint. if you have the above diagram or the single ballast, get 2 extra ballasts put them in your glove box, at the next no start just swap out the ballast. you just might have a better day.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 PM
yellowdog87
Default Orange Wire

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
from what i remember the orange wire that runs to the starter relay goes to the ignition switch.
There is one about 16 gauge wire coming from the column that plugs to a 3-way with one pin only coming out of the column, then it ran one to the fuse box. Just not sure where it went, it may be part of home built wiring that the previous owner did. Since I've owned it they never had an ignition fuse in the fuse slot for ignition. I ran the red wire to the junction outside the firewall. And the Orange to the starter relay. Not sure what wires go to either power bar on the fuse box. and what goes to Batt/ACC or IGN/acc in the fuse box. The hardwired ones are connected to BATT/ACC and IGN/ACC but I need to know the detachable ones.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:51 PM
yellowdog87
Default Parts

Originally Posted by moe7404
a big hint. if you have the above diagram or the single ballast, get 2 extra ballasts put them in your glove box, at the next no start just swap out the ballast. you just might have a better day.
I run with 3 extra ballasts, an extra dist, ecu, starter relay, and volt reg. fuses, coil. Still can't get it to run.

Quick Reply: 78 Dodge D150 318 dual ballast wiring diagram.